Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Booner,

Too late you just came off as a "smart ass" to the person who started this website. The good thing for you is I am too old and too tired to go off on a tangent plus I am typing with my thumb.

I am simply asking if they are helping us Iowans?

When I sat on the Natural Resource Commission for the state of Iowa I understood our biologist inputed mattered. Not the Drurys. Having said this I opened my mind to the idea maybe they help. So, I watched part 1 - 9 and felt they did a good job and were fair.

My thumb is starting to ache, one more thing. I get input from a lot of resources and it would be easy for me to never visit this or any other forum. But guess what, I care more about the resource than I do about almost anything in my life. We all have the ability to make the world we live in a better or worse place. At 52 years old and having hunted for over 30 years I see a problem here in Iowa.

I am the only one on this board that I know of that can drive to the state capital tomorrow and have an intelligent conversation with the man in charge about this subject. I am also smart enough to play the game so we get what we want.

My question was to simply find the motive of the Drurys, simple as that...

And my response answered that! I'm an Iowan and they helped me in more ways than one, I'm sure I'm not the only one as well. So yes, Mr. President they are helping Iowans.

Since your a man of wisdom and experience you should be the first to see that us as Iowan outdoors men and us as Iowan politicians are two different things. I never once said the Drury's change Iowa's law and regulations, however they are bringing topics to the table that us as Iowas should be aware of!! Since your the creator of this website you must frequent it often huh? Have you not be paying attention to the most popular threads as of late? Entailing deer management. Now I'd be curious to know how many of our members of this great site are directly correlated back to the Iowa DNR or have a political stature. Basically, me reading through all the BS your talking about, I'm comprehending that unless you directly affect the government then your wasting your time. My argument about the Drury's had nothing to do with them taking on the world (Iowa) and changing laws, however they have done a pretty good job if I do say so myself at "educating" the common people, the everyday people, the people that will be the ones to put an end to shooting extensive amounts of does ultimately ruining Iowa's deer herd. So, please riddle me with your response, except this time put your shirt back on and try not to pound your chest so hard this time. This conversation came about at claiming the Drury's were harvesting deer elegally, of which is ludicrous. You asked for my opinion and you got it. However I don't feel the need to give you my biography and slap my own A$$ every chance I get.

I'm not trying to come off as a smarta$$ but it's hard to not see how they've contributed toward the world of whitetails!
Unlike you, I don't hold them in esteem and doubt they advocate for the average Iowa deer hunter.

Booner, Specifically, what do the Drury brothers do for the state and the deer herd that the land owners in this lawsuit don't do? Just asking!

They are no more or less important than the land owners, however they are in the public eye. Monkey see, monkey do. Take mike smith owns 80 acres of timber and farms 200, he's from Des Moines Iowa and do the round table talk with him and the Iowa DNR and put it all over youtube, then do the same thing with the Drury's and you'll see a 10 fold comparison in responses between the two. Go to the store and have someone who's never picked up a bow buy a Drury video and a whitetail freaks video and say learn how to hunt from this video. These are the ways I'm talking the drury's impact IOWA. You are taking my comment out of context. I wasn't inferring that the Drury brothers are the ultimate deciding beneficiary in Iowa's rule and regulations. I simply state an opinion that said these guys do it right, they have helped drastically open the public's eyes at conservation efforts, QDMA, TSI and they are directly impacted the people of Iowa.

I simply state an opinion that said these guys do it right

By exploiting Iowa natural resources for their own gain through videos and being outfitters? I'm not connecting the dots here.......

Though it plays right into Terry Branstad's model of commercialization of everything at any cost, kiss the almighty dollar ring.

ok i'll try again

Specifically, how are they different from the 3 land-owners mentioned in the law suit. Are the Drury brothers legal Iowa residents as defined by the Supreme court. A simple yes or no would work here. If yes, how, specifically, do they meet the residency requirements as outlined by the court. It seems as if you know them well, do either of these fellows own a home or land in a different state. Again, a yes or no answer would suffice hear.

Booner

Having read your posts I assume your a last word person and I will give you the last word. As far as your assumptions of who I am and what I represent are about as far off as you can get. I no longer own this website but having started it I have the utmost respect for the person that does and the folks who help manage it.

As far as service to a school board, a city council and even a state I have done some of it but my only connections have to do with a wonderful woman that sits it the capital and that's my mother. She has given half of ther life to the state of Iowa. The respect she has earned has come from years of hard work and time away from her family. It's not an easy life especially with people who don't understand that this service is done by regular folks just like you, me and all of us. Her reasons for such longevity have to do with her boss. She is there because of him, so you can judge and ridicule him but he is the Governor and you are not. We would not want his job, trust me.

As far as my time on the commission it was the best, the late 1980's going into the 1990's we had habitat and a biologist by the name of Lee Gladfelter who most refer to as the Godfather of creating the best deer herd in the country. Director Larry Wilson was also very instrumental.

I like you and others have become disillusioned and after carefully listening to this board, the biologist and as I stated earlier and you obviously missed the Drurys we need to rethink the stresses we are putting on the resource.

Enough already, you know who I am and I don't have a clue who you are but I am starting to get use to that by now and I need to get back to my family and the reason for the season. You see as you get older you have the luxury to pick your fights and this ones over. You more than answered my question. Remember, what are the Drury's doing for the state of Iowa.

Merry Christmas, I hope you find joy this season.

Anthony L Hough, Harlan

I am betting we do not get yes or no answers to the questions posed to him.

Your a class act fella you know that?

Are they brothers residents? Mark I believe resides in Iowa as Terry is in Missouri. how are they different than the 3 land owners in this lawsuit I believe the motive behind their actions speaks for itself (no need to elaborate with you, since your a been there done that know it all). and Finally How are they meeting the residency requirementsMark as stated is living in this state, therefor he is paying Iowa taxes and thus a "resident"

Last edited:
Wow.

Just read the last 13 pages of the thread. Lots of opinions, lots of insinuations, lots of speculation. Let me state clearly, I was a Maryland resident 4 years ago that wanted to hunt outsized whitetails on a yearly basis. I picked up and moved my family from Maryland to Iowa. Very hard thing to do. Wife had to be on board, jobs had to line up, it was not an easy thing. But, I had a good friend who helped me through the rough spots. He gave me the guidance that only a local would know and today I sit on a very nice Warren county farm and plan for big things in the future. Moving to Iowa to hunt the "Land of Giants" is a difficult move. Best thing I have ever done. But, I can honestly say, as an American, if you own land, anywhere, you should be able to hunt it. Hard to come down on a specific side here.

They are no more or less important than the land owners, however they are in the public eye. Monkey see, monkey do. Take mike smith owns 80 acres of timber and farms 200, he's from Des Moines Iowa and do the round table talk with him and the Iowa DNR and put it all over youtube, then do the same thing with the Drury's and you'll see a 10 fold comparison in responses between the two. Go to the store and have someone who's never picked up a bow buy a Drury video and a whitetail freaks video and say learn how to hunt from this video. These are the ways I'm talking the drury's impact IOWA. You are taking my comment out of context. I wasn't inferring that the Drury brothers are the ultimate deciding beneficiary in Iowa's rule and regulations. I simply state an opinion that said these guys do it right, they have helped drastically open the public's eyes at conservation efforts, QDMA, TSI and they are directly impacted the people of Iowa.
I'd much rather watch/talk to mike smith. He's not a product whore like the rest of those celeb hunters. Plus, mike lives in Iowa for real. He's not trying bend any laws or rules. He buys his gas and groceries here. His kids ACTUALLY go to school here.
Yup, I'd support mike any day over any celeb. No contest.

bpul2113, it wasn't a lawsuit. They did not sue the DNR. The DNR came after them while all the little DNR as(s) kissers were given a pass. The Drury's, the Lindseys from the great state of Georgia, Allen Currin (owns the largest road construction company in NC), MWW Pro Staffer Scott Prucca and the list goes on and on. Yes they all have homes in other states, they all have families in other states, their wives are residents of other states. Not hard to find all this stuff out these days.

Just read the last 13 pages of the thread. Lots of opinions, lots of insinuations, lots of speculation. Let me state clearly, I was a Maryland resident 4 years ago that wanted to hunt outsized whitetails on a yearly basis. I picked up and moved my family from Maryland to Iowa. Very hard thing to do. Wife had to be on board, jobs had to line up, it was not an easy thing. But, I had a good friend who helped me through the rough spots. He gave me the guidance that only a local would know and today I sit on a very nice Warren county farm and plan for big things in the future. Moving to Iowa to hunt the "Land of Giants" is a difficult move. Best thing I have ever done. But, I can honestly say, as an American, if you own land, anywhere, you should be able to hunt it. Hard to come down on a specific side here.
You already came down on a side. Iowa's. You made the decision, for whatever reason, and moved your whole family here. No one will accuse you of playing the system just to shoot deer. You are a legitimate citizen.
Welcome to Iowa BTW:way:

paying taxes hehehehehehe

Holy sheeeeet,

Booner, we could fill landfills for what you dont' know. Paying taxes has nothing to do with residency requirements for hunting as a resident. Dude, go back and actually read what the 3 folks in question did to become residents. Then compare that to what you just said. I ask closed-ended questions to make you take a stand, if you don't know that then, yet again, I am in a battle of wits with unarmed man.

Read the issues, statements and rebutals.... then come back when you have a clue what the requirements are. Holy Sheeeet

Last edited:
Holy sheeeeet,

Booner, we could fill landfills for what you dont' know. Paying taxes has nothing to do with residency requirements for hunting as a resident. Dude, go back and actually read what the 3 folks in question did to become residents. Then compare that to what you just said. I ask closed-ended questions to make you take a stand, if you don't know that then, yet again, I am in a battle of wits with unarmed man.

Read the issues, statements and rebutals.... then come back when you have a clue what the requirements are. Holy Sheeeet

I have better things to do! You win, you literally have done it all and seen it all. Your the man the myth the legend all mixed into one arrogant old man! Your motive to moving to Iowa are obvious, as was as the other 3 other men who got caught with their pants down. My argument toward Mark and Terry had literally nothing to do with this case, re-read this thread you will know that. However, since parts of my argument pertained to the situation you were once in (a non resident) you feel the need to defend yourself with smart remarks of disrespect.

Thanks to iabahntr

Thank you sir, I appreciate that. Yes, I like to think I did it the right way. But, without the help of friends like Hans1 it would have been very very difficult. I am just your average Joe, work like a dog to get time off in November. But, without the help of actual Iowa residents it would have been very difficult to make this happen. I love Iowa and it's people, it, like every other place, has it's issues. But the land and people make it special, even folks I may disagree with, like Booner.

Logic and truth, it is a bitch

Booner, it is always a good thing to know one's place. As a wise man once said, " A man has got to know him limitations." Have a good night sir!

This gets rough quick as usual.....

The drurys have assisted and hurt Iowa at the same time. In reality they probably have helped the overall hunting community more than Iowa specifically via informing people about what is possible with management practices. The hurt is that by sharing all the great information they have it makes people correlate Iowa with that success. The reality is that several Midwest states could produce the same deer given the same property setup. The laws really have nothing to do with their success when you manage extremely large chunks of property because you control your herd at that point. In fact you could argue that 3 bucks actually is worse for them.

(insert tipping of my cowboy hat)

Booner, it is always a good thing to know one's place. As a wise man once said, " A man has got to know him limitations." Have a good night sir!

When you can come down off that high horse of yours and back to reality maybe you will see what my post as well as my responses entailed, and thus show me the respect I deserve.

It seems far too many, yourself included want to make this a battle of political wits. My responses were in "Opinion" format of how I believed the Drury's have and are helping Iowa both directly and indirectly, that was it.... Pretty clear, cut and dry. It was my opinion, I wasn't looking for someone or multiple people to tell me my opinion was wrong (if i wanted that, I would have posted this discussion topic on A&E's website). I also wasn't looking to battle it out and slump down into the non resident discussion, however those up against the wall (non residents) feel they must always defend themselves at every chance they get. The fact of the matter is, Mark lives in Iowa, therefor his taxes and everything he purchases DIRECTLY correlates back to Iowa. So yes, TAXES do matter. He goes to the local supermarket 365 days a year (not just come November) and buys groceries, he buys his fuel at the local casey's (not just in November). I can go on and on and on-these are the taxes I'm referring to, the ones that matter in terms of "directly affecting" us as Iowan's. You as well as the other out of stater's that buy land and pay those dues feel you are more obligated than Mark because of what?? You have had to go too the extremes to get what you want, so therefor you're more deserving? Makes sense :rolleyes:

At the end of the day money talks, you see it everywhere which that's expected, however rules are rules are rules. These 3 men that you keep referring back to (3 men that you can relate too :D) didn't follow those rules, obvioulsy. They were in fact NOT residents or else this situation wouldn't have come about. They played the game and got caught, assuming you also tried to plays this game and it didn't work out for you, thus the reason you packed up and moved here. Makes perfect sense why you feel so STRONGLY about this topic, as do many other fools in your situation. At the end of the day the only thing you and I will agree on is the fact we will disagree about everything! The generation barrier is obviously there, and like so many guys your age, it's your way or no way. It almost resembles many other things that are messed up about our society these days!

Any who, I'm done with this conversation. I have family things to attend to, I have my priorities in line and moving to another state to chase whitetails isn't one of them. So happy holidays, and good luck with your future endeavors.

Josh

So if I was a multi-millionaire and owned land in six states I should be able to hunt all of them as if I was a resident? I don't pretend to know if Mark Drury actually "resides" in Iowa. If I built a cabin on my farm in Brighton, but my wife and two kids live in Muscatine and I spend a lot of time at my farm, can you have two residences?

Top Bottom