Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best handgun for the money

180class

I'm in the mood for a new toy. Been thinking hard about getting a handgun. For those of you familiar with what's out there, what would be the best gun for the money. Wanting to stay below $600. I've looked at Sigs, XD's and Glocks. In my opinion the XD looks to be just a copy cat of the Glock for more $$. I really like the feel of the Sig although I haven't shot one yet. Also torn between 9mm and .45. The gun will be for home defense and just punching holes in paper. Any opinions?

I love my XD. Great gun for the money and I think they are fairly close to most Glock prices. I think it is a safer gun than the Glock. I know Sig makes some nice pistols too. As far as the 9mm vs the .45. A well placed shot will drop an intruder plus the 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

If your torn between the 9 and 45...split the difference and get a .40 :way: If you already have the .40 then like was said above... the 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

I would say go 9 mm and look at the Tauras model 92. This is based off the Beretta model 92 and I recently picked one up. 17 rd clips and you can pick one up well worth the money.

I am a Glock fan myself; model 26 aka: Baby Glock in 9mm.

As stated 9mm shells are easy to find, and they are priced right.

I have a CCW Permit and the Glock carries very well. I don't leave home without it. ;)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

I just picked up an XDM .45 and I love it. Great shooter, but a little big for carry or at least "conceal" purpose. M&P's are a good shooter too. I would go with 9mm for shear cost of shooting as the others said.

If youre not wanting to carry get a Springfield xdm. One of the best shooting sidearms on the market, very accurat and smooth. It's safety features are by far my favorite on the market. If you ever decide you might want to shoot a deer with it then stay away from a 9mm.

Last edited:
Any of the weapons mentioned above will do the job. My personal preference is a 1911 .45 Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. 1911's are easy to carry concealed because of the single stack mags. They are "flatter", thus easier to conceal. I also think that follow up rounds are easier to fire as they tend to recoil straight back as opposed to up. Also as mentioned above, 9's are cheaper to shoot, but a .40 or .45 will get the job done more efficiently, in my opinion. I am not dissing the 9 mm, especially since they have vastly improved the ammo since I carried one, but I have always liked a larger caliber.

Glock, Springfield, Smith, they are all quality weapons. Go to a shop and handle each and see which one you like.

Lots of nice guns available right now. Personally my XDM is by far my favorite for home defense and all around shooting fun but the safety features are what I initially bought it for. The 4.5" barrel version is hard to conceal but is legal in Iowa if you wish to carry during deer firearm seasons but not in 9mm.
Loaded chamber indicator, striker status pin, trigger and grip safety and being able to field strip without pullling the trigger are all things I really like. Extremely accurate also. Good luck on your purchase.

I have owned them all, and for simplicity, reliability and price you cannot go wrong with a glock. The only polymer pistols i own now are glocks. Some people will try to steer you away becuase it has no saftey. Don't pull the trigger and it wont fire, simple as that.
Now if you dont intend on carrying the sig is hard to beat. Its heavier than the glock and has a lot more moving parts. But they are sweet shooting guns.

As far as caliber, it depends on what you want it for. If mainly for target shooting, get a 9mm. The ammo is much cheaper than anything else. Then all you have to do is decided between the glock 17, 19, 26, and 34 (the four 9mm glock models).

You will not be dissapointed with a glock.

I had a Glock .40 and got rid of it because of the "no saftey" I dont care what anybody says I just cant get over that and will not have one in the house. Great shooting gun tho!

Any of the weapons mentioned above will do the job. My personal preference is a 1911 .45 Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. 1911's are easy to carry concealed because of the single stack mags. They are "flatter", thus easier to conceal. I also think that follow up rounds are easier to fire as they tend to recoil straight back as opposed to up. Also as mentioned above, 9's are cheaper to shoot, but a .40 or .45 will get the job done more efficiently, in my opinion. I am not dissing the 9 mm, especially since they have vastly improved the ammo since I carried one, but I have always liked a larger caliber.

Glock, Springfield, Smith, they are all quality weapons. Go to a shop and handle each and see which one you like.

I'm with Kam on this one. I've carried a full-size 1911 concealed many times since I've lived in AZ and they really aren't that bad or bulky, IMO. And you just can't beat the .45 ACP for stopping power. As my dad told me after carrying a Thompson during part of his tour in Vietnam: "At close range, they'll stop a charging elephant". When I'm ready for another toy, my next one will likely be a Sig or a XDM in .40 SW (Nug nailed it earlier with it being the perfect compromise). For now, I'll take my pick of the 3 1911s hanging in the safe (2 Colts, 1 Springfield).

Top Bottom