Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Iowa hunting?

ayr_aca_cs

I am very new to the site, only a month or so. First let me say that I love it and have been reading as much as I can. I am amazed at all the knowledge that people share.

Now to my point/question. I live in NW Ohio, never even been to Iowa, until I hit those lucky numbers and can move. The hunting in Ohio is drastically different in the NW part of the state as compared to the southern part of the state. Lets just say that I'm not in the ideal location. So I would like to know if there is a "best" part of Iowa? Is there a region that out performs another region in terms of monsters? numbers? etc? I know here in Ohio there are many many more deer in the South to South East as compared to the NW.

Great hunting can be had all over the state...obviously there are areas that are better known for producing trophies.

SE & NE IA are well known trophy producers...but don't get too hung up on that!

There are some other dynamite areas to hunt in and some real sleeper spots that not many people really pursue.

Any of the river systems will hold deer and there is often much public land to pursue along the rivers.

Repeat here BUT anywhere you can own giant habitat and manage it. BUT....
On average, some people might be upset for bringing MORE attention to the area BUT.... South Central Iowa. Hands down. Gets the least pressure, has best habitat and has tons of deer. *I know people will DISAGREE that it gets less pressure BUT I truly believe it does, no question. It has the most mature deer in the state and is the go to place if I had to start all over.

*Now, if I could have 10,000 acres, I'd simply go to a spot with the most fertile soil and the best genetics (2nd part is hard to judge/find). I'd say that would be Waterloo to Mason City area. You FACTUALLY would grow the biggest bucks that way.

**For someone looking to come here and hunt that hasn't been here, I'd really look across the border to Minnesota or Missouri- it's WAY BETTER HUNTING, bigger deer, more deer, less pressure. Iowa has really gone down hill and I haven't seen a buck over 2 & 1/2 in 4 years now!!!! *Saw a six point the other day at least. Pic in my avator is from MO.

ayr__aca__cs, since nobody wants to give you a straight answer, try to draw for zone 4. If you do, give me a shout, there is some great public land that gets very little pressure during archery season that I can show you, even show you a few spots to sit on it. Its great hunting, very low pressure.

If you come for late ML season, wear a bullet proof vest, lots of high powers go off down here.

The post was more of a search for general knowledge. I would LOVE to come to Iowa and hunt don't get me wrong. Its just not in my future, I just wanted to know what the best parts were just to know. Right now if I took a hunting trip to Iowa I might as well plan on moving there as my wife might change the locks on me while I'm gone, lol. If at some time in the future I get lucky enough to be blessed with the chance I will certainly reference this site. Thanks.

Top Bottom