Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Muzzleloader Bullet?

How cold is it when you are shooting those deer, late season?
I used to use powerbelts too until I missed 2 bucks in brutal cold one year(below zero for highs). I took the gun home and figured out it was shooting almost 2' low until the barrel warmed up. About 4 shots in and they were back on target. They just fit too loosely in the barrel when cold. That was using a 54 caliber knight. I haven't tried them again since that year.

We typically hunt Iowa’s Gun II and Late Muzzle. The December days can be cold, but typically hovering near and just below freezing. By January 18, below zero is entirely possible.

Some deer have been killed on those desperately cold days. Come to think of it, one double-digit evening, when it was actually too cold to be hunting safely, we saw a herd crossing the field right near the truck as we headed home for the day. We both took a half-hearted shot and both completely missed (open field, on snow, clear tracks for over 100 yards… no hair and not a drop of blood). We think we didn’t really even try- shivering and shooting offhand at trotting deer we didn’t really didn’t want to field dress. It could’ve been the temperature? Other times, however, we have filled tags at frigid temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We typically hunt Iowa’s Gun II and Late Muzzle. The December days can be cold, but typically hovering near and just below freezing. By January 18, below zero is entirely possible.

Some deer have been killed on those desperately cold days. Come to think of it, one double-digit evening, when it was actually too cold to be hunting safely, we saw a herd crossing the field right near the truck as we headed home for the day. We both took a half-hearted shot and both completely missed (open field, on snow, clear tracks for over 100 yards… no hair and not a drop of blood). We think we didn’t really even try- shivering and shooting offhand at trotting deer we didn’t really didn’t want to field dress. It could’ve been the temperature? Other times, however, we have filled tags at frigid temps.

Sounds like poor excuses from a fair weather hunter.

I sight my muzzleloader in as close to season as I can so that the barrel is in the same temperatures I hunt in. I also clean after every shot because I shoot clean cold barrels when I hunt.

• Deleted by Kooch
  • Reason: wrong forum
Show…

I sight my muzzleloader in as close to season as I can so that the barrel is in the same temperatures I hunt in. I also clean after every shot because I shoot clean cold barrels when I hunt.

You didn’t read. I said “ONE double-digit evening”. One time. I’m allowing it could have been temperature, but more likely just a scratch shot. I also said we hunt late muzzle until January 18 and we have hunted, and tagged deer, on plenty of below zero days. “Fair weather hunter”? When you’ve hunted Iowa Januarys for 60 years and field dressed by flashlight in foot deep snow at below zero, then come and tell me, Skippy.

Poor excuses, fair weather???? Sounds more like poor comprehension of what we are discussing, which is bullet drop in sub zero conditions.Thanks for the genius idea of cleaning a muzzleloader barrel though.

Poor excuses, fair weather???? Sounds more like poor comprehension of what we are discussing, which is bullet drop in sub zero conditions.Thanks for the genius idea of cleaning a muzzleloader barrel though.

I also said I sight my muzzleloader in as close to season as I can do it performs the same during season as it did when I sighted it in. So try again genius.

I was talking about taking the poor off hand shots and hoping to hit the deer.

You didn’t read. I said “ONE double-digit evening”. One time. I’m allowing it could have been temperature, but more likely just a scratch shot. I also said we hunt late muzzle until January 18 and we have hunted, and tagged deer, on plenty of below zero days. “Fair weather hunter”? When you’ve hunted Iowa Januarys for 60 years and field dressed by flashlight in foot deep snow at below zero, then come and tell me, Skippy.

Pretty sure Late muzzle ends Jan 10th but you know to each their own. I’ve field dressed plenty in deep snow holding a flashlight in my mouth. But I forgot old people always had it harder.

If you’re only hunting late muzz when it’s nice, you’re missing some of the best hunting.

Two problems with whoever is the fair weather hunter…hunting late muzz January 18…and taking a half hearted shot. If you’re not actually trying you just shouldn’t shoot…period!

I've never noticed a difference in cold and warm shots on my muzzy. Wife uses it early and I use it late season. Main thing with late season is I keep the gun cold once it's loaded. I don't bring it in and out of cold to conditioned space. Creates condensation, which could create to a weaker charge which could lead to a super low shot.

I'm more interested in this late season muzzy tag that goes until January 18th. Feels like I'm quitting 8 days early

Last edited:
I've never noticed a difference in cold and warm shots on my muzzy. Wife uses it early and I use it late season. Main thing with late season is I keep the gun cold once it's loaded. I don't bring it in and out of cold to conditioned space. Creates condensation, which could create to a weaker charge which could lead to a super low shot.

I'm more interested in this late season muzzy tag that goes until January 18th. Feels like I'm quitting 8 days early

Now that I’ll agree with. It was cold- too cold to be safe and we were out too long. Never should have shot- but we did. We looked- hard. Took turns warming in the truck while the other looked and found no sign. You’re right- shouldn’t have pulled the trigger, also should have quit before our brains stopped working but mistakes were made and lessons were learned.

Pretty sure Late muzzle ends Jan 10th but you know to each their own. I’ve field dressed plenty in deep snow holding a flashlight in my mouth. But I forgot old people always had it harder.

Yep. January 10, that’s right (started on the 18 this year). You’re right- in the olden days it was colder and there was more snow. Had to walk uphill into the woods and drag uphill out of the woods. And the squirrels were noisier.

Top Bottom