Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Slug Gun?

cfarrell

I am looking at the 220 savage. Read some good reports on that gun. Also, what does the 220f stand for? Is it the same thing as the 220? Guys at bass pro didn't know if any difference in the guns 220 or 220f. Let me know what you think.
I currently have the ithica pump deerslayer. Bought that gun years back but it doesn't seem to group the newer better sabot slugs very well.
Thanks

Have you got a rifled barrel on the ithaca? If so, try a few diferent brands/types of ammo. That gun should group just fine.

Last edited:
I am looking at the 220 savage. Read some good reports on that gun. Also, what does the 220f stand for? Is it the same thing as the 220? Guys at bass pro didn't know if any difference in the guns 220 or 220f. Let me know what you think.
I currently have the ithica pump deerslayer. Bought that gun years back but it doesn't seem to group the newer better sabot slugs very well.
Thanks

Savage 220 is awesome, I love it, confidence level jumped big time

The camo stainless savage 220 is the best from everything I read. I hope to have a 220 someday. Have the money sitting here in my gun safe just can't find one in a store.

Yes its the fixed rifled barrel deerslayer. I tried xp3s, hornady, remington etc. I practice shoot out of a led sled but didn't seem to get good groups. The older bri winchester 1 oz sabot seem to group the best but they are slower and not the best slug. It seems the more speed with the newer slugs "throws" the bullets around more?
I have read a little bit about slug guns lately and maybe with the more powerfull slugs I am getting barrel jump? I don't think in the past I have held the gun down when sighting in. Might try that next time out and see if it helps.
I still might try the 220f. I have 4 boys getting close to hunting age so an extra 20 gauge slug gun will get plenty of use.

Do you guys shoot the 2 3/4 in or 3 in sabots our of your 220's? Which brand works the best?
I too was looking at the stainless but cost more. Would stainless barrel make gun more accurate or just better for corrosion?
Thanks again for the feedback.

I really like my Remington 11-87. With open sites and rifled barrel. With the Remington copper solids I have a tact driver at 75 yards and if you tossed a scope on it I don't doubt you could dail it in even farther out!

The 11-87 with a hastings cantilever barrel is an awesome gun as well. 100yd tack drivers and my dad shot a doe at 180yds with his. I love that gun as well. It flat out shoots. lightfield and remington copper solid slugs are wicked out of it.

Liv4Rut said:
The 11-87 with a hastings cantilever barrel is an awesome gun as well. 100yd tack drivers and my dad shot a doe at 180yds with his. I love that gun as well. It flat out shoots. lightfield and remington copper solid slugs are wicked out of it.

I dropped a doe at 179 yards with the three inch copper solids. Craziest thing ever. I shot once at the doe and she dropped. The rest of the deer with her then ran right to me. I jumped up when they where at 5 yards and finished filling my antlerless
tags.

My Ithaca Deerslayer is a tack driver. Mine likes Copper Solids the best, and I would suggest holding it down to help keep the barrel down. Also mine prefers 2-3/4" slugs as opposed to the 3"

A guy that shotgun hunts with us, his savage kept freezing up and jamming when it got cold. When it dont mess up, ive seen him drop deer at 200 yds. He shoots remington coppers i belive

I heard it was tricky ejecting shells out of the 220. Have to shuck it out brisk and you won't be able to do it slow and quiet like. Lots of good slug guns today. I don't know if the guns have gotten better or just the slugs have gotten better.

I know a lot of guys that have awesome luck with the copper solids. My friend has an 870 with the rifled barrel and I've seen him group 3 shots in a 50 cent piece at 100 yards, also shooting the copper solids.

I either shoot a remington 12 guage 11-87 with a scope and winchester 3" slugs, or a remington 16 guage with remington sluggers. Depending if im walking, blocking, timber, or field. Both combinations kill deer and have served me well :)

I have the 220f and it came with a card stating that either the Federal Premium Barnes or the Remington Accutip will give the best performance. I haven't shot it yet but every time I go to BP or get online to price those two brands of ammo they are dang expensive. Like 3 dollars a shot expensive. I haven't made up my mind yet on what I'll shoot out of it. I keep reading that this gun is accurate out to 200 yds plus, and still has enough retained energy at that range to kill deer.
I just can't rationalize spending that kind of loot on shotgun slugs. That was the main reason I passed on buying a 460 S&W, ammo price. Maybe I'll get some cheaper sabots this weekend and see what they can do.

Do you guys shoot the 2 3/4 in or 3 in sabots our of your 220's? Which brand works the best?

I bought a savage bolt action 12 ga 8 years ago and I love it. Not sure on the model # but it may be the same as what's in the stores now. I have a Nikon pro staff scope on it and the only two types of sabots its ever seen in the field were copper solids and Sst... all in 2 3/4". (Continued... battery died on my computer..)

3" shells didnt group as well for me in any brand

A friend of mine has the 220 20ga and he loves it! A pure tack driver of a slug gun past 200yds.. i have thought about getting one but don't need another slug gun.

A couple more to look at in a bolt action slug gun is Browning and mossberg. I also have the mossberg with a redfield 3-9×40 on it. Another tack driver!

Last edited:
Another vote for the Rem copper solids! I probably tried 15 or 20 different slugs to see what would work best and my Tar-Hunt 870DSG likes the Remington 3" best but shoots both 2 3/4" & Federal coppers pretty well also. It didn't care for the super fast slugs much at all.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I might just try the 220 and see how it works. Reading some info online sounds like savage has worked on the ejection issue. I am a little concerned about the freezing up issue since guns seasons can be cold.
I might have to try the copper solids through my deerslayer and try holding it down in the led sled. I don't think I tried that in the past and seems the newer slugs are faster. That might be the reason for it spraying slugs around the target. The deerslayer I have is probably 20 yrs old now & just not sure if it was made for these faster slugs. It is the fixed rifled barrel gun so you would think it should shot them well though.

I don't know enough about the physics of it all but I suspect the twist rate of most rifled barrels may not stabilize the higher speed slugs as well.

Another thing to consider about when seeking the best accuracy out of a slug gun is to have a competent gunsmith rework the trigger. Optimum accuracy is not possible with the factory trigger pull of most shotguns! Best money I ever spent on my slug gun. Once you experience a reasonably light, crisp, clean trigger break you will wonder how you ever hit anything before. :)

Another vote for Remington's 11-87.... Great, great piece of machinery. Here is my set-up.... I shoot a 3" mag,,, Breneke Rotweil GOLD...(make sure you use the gold with a rifled barrel)....and a Busnell Holosight. EXTREMELY accurate shotgun. You can't hardly miss with this set-up.
Also, I always wanted one, so I bought a Bennelli SBE II.... thought if I was buying a great gun I would shoot great ammo through it as well. So I bought several boxes of Hornandy ammo. (Lots of guys swear by it)...Not me....this junk shot all over the place and had me totally frustrated and baffled as to what the problem was....swithched over to Breneke 3" golds and immediatly....problem solved....I truely believe in this round and will tell you, deer don't go far after being stuck by this round. It is basicly a flying gear and does major damage.
Bottom line: I could have bought 2 11-87's for the price of the Bennelli and the 11-87 is ten times the gun that the SBE II is.

Top Bottom