Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Slug Gun?

HorseDoctor said:
I don't know enough about the physics of it all but I suspect the twist rate of most rifled barrels may not stabilize the higher speed slugs as well.

Another thing to consider about when seeking the best accuracy out of a slug gun is to have a competent gunsmith rework the trigger. Optimum accuracy is not possible with the factory trigger pull of most shotguns! Best money I ever spent on my slug gun. Once you experience a reasonably light, crisp, clean trigger break you will wonder how you ever hit anything before. :)

That is where I think the 220 shines. It has the accutrigger that is one of the best factory adjustable triggers out there. Nothing better than a good trigger on any gun. :)

30pointbuck said:
Another vote for Remington's 11-87.... Great, great piece of machinery. Here is my set-up.... I shoot a 3" mag,,, Breneke Rotweil GOLD...(make sure you use the gold with a rifled barrel)....and a Busnell Holosight. EXTREMELY accurate shotgun. You can't hardly miss with this set-up.
Also, I always wanted one, so I bought a Bennelli SBE II.... thought if I was buying a great gun I would shoot great ammo through it as well. So I bought several boxes of Hornandy ammo. (Lots of guys swear by it)...Not me....this junk shot all over the place and had me totally frustrated and baffled as to what the problem was....swithched over to Breneke 3" golds and immediatly....problem solved....I truely believe in this round and will tell you, deer don't go far after being stuck by this round. It is basicly a flying gear and does major damage.
Bottom line: I could have bought 2 11-87's for the price of the Bennelli and the 11-87 is ten times the gun that the SBE II is.

X2 on the Brenneke gold slugs. I have been using them for years in my 870. Easily the most consistent slug for my gun anyway.

Horsedoc,
Not sure on the twist on my old deerslayer. That might have something to do with not shooting these newer slugs well. I also know from shooting my muzzle loader u can't put to much powder behind a lighter bullet. Sprays them all over. Maybe same thing going on with the faster slugs out of the deerslayer. The slower bullets seem to group much better. I should probably take to gunsmith and see what they think and have them work on trigger. Never really thought that much about the trigger.
Thanks

Agree with 30pt, hornady slugs, and id bet he was shooting sst's... They suck! Hate how any sst bullet has performed hunting. 12ga wouldnt group, and had problems with both slugs and muzzleload sst's not even expanding. xtp's are a very different story, but dont think they offer that bullet in a slug setup.

Copper solids are awesome, and most guns will group best with 2 3/4 over 3".

Yep 816, exactly....they were sst's. They were grouping so bad according to my standards that I was starting to think my scope mounts were lose or I bought a Shotgun with a bad barrel or something.LOL
Sorta funny though, you see guys buying them up because they look cool, thinkin they are buying something great,,,little do they know, when they get to the range, they are in for a huge suprise.... if you are as anal about your groups as I am, that is. JUNK

Rem 1100 cantilever......I have no complaints, other than its a bit heavy. I sit in tree stand or blind most of the time, not a lot of pushes so the weight doesn't bother me much. Winchester sabots are on the money for me.

Top Bottom