Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Stand packing pack?

KSQ2

PMA Member
For years now I've used cheap packs and simply placed them on the back of my LW alpha. After seeing hardcorehunter's setup, I'm considering getting a pack before next season that has the option of strapping the stand onto the pack (reasoning is for comfort -- sharing the load on the hips rather than competely on the shoulders). I'd still like the option of putting the pack on the back of the stand at times too. I've been thinking of the badlands 2200 (I pack a LOT of layering clothes at times). Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I discovered from a friend on AT that was tired of the failures of his Badlands pack, that HornHunter packs like mine are made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. This is my favorite pack and they are tough. I prefer to support USA companies, and I know that I know no one in VietNam where Badlands are made. My badlands has failed zipper tabs, stitching, and plastic buckle broken, and very little use. My Predator Horn Hunter takes abuse daily with heavy loads, and no failures. The Hornhunter has padded cinch straps for securing stands and gear to. Not to Mention the best camo pattern on the market; PREDATOR!! Made in the USA. Did I mention they are made in the USA, have a lifetime warranty, and come in Predator camo?:grin: I have a barely used 2200 that I am selling; shoot me a pm.
https://sophuntinggear.com/Products...md/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/1977/Default.aspx

Here is the most recent discussion on the quality of the Badlands 2200 back packs.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32783

If you go to Badlands website they also have an unconditional lifetime warranty on anything that goes wrong, even if your dog chews the strap in half. As I stated in the above post, I have had my Badlands 2200 for nearly 5 years and have used it on nearly every single turkey or deer hunt since 2005. It easily packs my Double Bull blind, my bow, my stand/sticks, or whatever else I want to take with. It is the single piece of equipment I have had and used the longest without replacing other than my LW sticks.

If I needed another pack I'd buy HCH's without hesitation but as it stands I can only wear one pack at a time. :drink2:

Right now a sled. Just joking. I love my badlands but that is all I have ever used. Its lasted 4 or 5 years now and one zipper tab just broke and the stitching is starting to come out on one strap, but its still holding tight. If you could find someone close that has one, try it out with all your gear and see what you think. Goodluck, the crooked horn looks great too.

I have a Blacks Creek Jim Horn Canadian series pack and love it. It was a toss up b/w the Badlands 2220 and the Blacks Creek. I've heard all good from my friends that own the Badlands, but the Blacks Creek had a few more features that interested me for my hunting style out here in AZ. You can strap pretty much everything you need to it and be comfortable hiking all day. I've heard other say they've had problems with Blacks Creek, but they are pretty much the same types of problems I've heard about the Badlands (zippers, etc.). The only difference I've seen is that Badlands has a better warranty. Out here in the West, Badlands, Blacks Creek, and Eberlestock are probably the top three sellers (in no particular order). I know various people that have all three brands among themselves and they all swear by them. It would be hard to go wrong with any of those three. My biggest problem with my Blacks Creek is that there is so much room, I tend to fill it with more than I typically end up needing, but then I usually plan for the worst, including spending nights a few miles from the truck if something goes wrong in the mountains.

No, mine is called the "western" according to the guy on AT i bought it used off of. Discontinued model from what I see.

This what I would get, or the nontypical XL off of Predators website, for stand carrying and general whitetail/elk hunting. The Mainbeam

https://sophuntinggear.com/Products...md/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/1977/Default.aspx

Notice all of the cinch straps, and the straps on the bottom. They work perfect for hooking unto a Lone wolf honeycomb platform. Great for carrying a bow. They come in Predator too if you don't like this pattern
28hk1nn.jpg

qouhyf.jpg

b8p9v6.jpg

• [SIZE=+0]
    • 2800 Cubic Inches
    • Mesh pockets for facemasks and gloves
    • Narrow design, no need to take it off while stalking
    • Our unique pack design allows you to access pockets while carrying bow or rifle
    • Internal frame and molded foam contours to your back
    • Designed to be used with most hydration bladders
    • Limited contact with back and hips - provides increased ventilation
    • SIDE WING POCKETS; specifically designed to be easily accessible - 4 seperate compartments on each side
    • 5 GEAR GRIPPER PADS, protects and secures your bow, rifle, scope or tripod ear buckles allow you to add your own accessories - knife, flashlight, saw, radio, etc.
    • Our "Gear Grippers" allow you to attach the bow by the handle, not around the string
    • "Air Flow" belt, allows for maximum air circulation
    • 8 internal compartments to organize your gear
    • Tripod and spotting scope pouch with padded "Gear Gripper" straps[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=+0]NONTYPICAL XL
    [/SIZE]
2yl33hj.jpg

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3000 cubic inches of storage[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]25 seperate compartments[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Molded back panels and straps[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Hydration compatible[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Removable organizer[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Removable two-sided (orange or brown) strap on fly[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Great for carrying Turkey Blind, Chairs or Your Trophy[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Colors available: DC only[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3000 cubic in[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Was thinking of getting an Eberlestock J34, but now you have me checking the Horn Hunters out as an option. I also try to buy USA as much as possible.

I've only had my Badlands 2200 for about 2 weeks and I'm quite impressed so far. I've used it to pack in my double bull darkhorse and mr heater with no problem. Also just did a test run with my LW alpha strapped to it and it worked flawlessly. I can't really comment much on the the other packs mentioned as I haven't used any of them but the main beam looks pretty nice.

Top Bottom