Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big and Beasty

eiowaarcher

I am trying to get plot ideas planned for next season and I have decided I want some sort of turnips. So I did some looking and I found "Big and Beasty" by Frigid Forage and was curious if anybody has used this and what you guys thought of this product and/or other similar products. Thanks

Good stuff, but you can save yourself some money and buy seed from welter seed co and mix it yourself..

Big and Beasty!! Very good stuff! I personally, dont care to mix my own very often and I do buy the stuff in a bag. Kind of like mixing your own malt...can be good, but Dairy Queen does it better.

Kind on depends on the budget.

I would personally buy my own, mix and save money. If you have money read and

know what you are getting.

The buck on the bag will not be any better but usually more expensive. A lot of times

they also have filler seeds that will not make it with the mix. Welters is very good but

there are also other places that have them as well. Good Luck.

I don't know. There is a public ground field in Webster county where the DNR had a farmer plant alfalfa, and let him cut it for hay once. I have never seen a field so tore up. Deer are coming from far on private land to eat in this field. Same field where right after I shot the doe I couldn't find last night, deer were already back in the field within five minutes after shooting. It's a magnet. I would love to see this 7-10 acre field have a brassicas plot right in the middle of the alfalfa.

What all seeds do you mix if you are making your own (big and beasty) and what is the best planting schedule.

Big n Beasty is good stuff. I've had great success with it for years. Last year I had two ac of it next to standing beans. The big n beasty scored 12 sheds and the beans only had one.

I do know the owner so I'm probably biased. However, he uses only quality seeds and so far I have no complaints.

Seed cost is usually minimal compared to fertilizer, diesel and your time.

What's more important is the field prep, timing and more importantly rain.

Yeah that's the stuff. Since you know the owner I will also ask if you have ever used the Plot Screen by Frigid Forest? I would like to plant some of that to help get in/out of the stand without being seen and to make the deer feel more secure while in the openness of the plots but also to hide one of my fields from the road. Any opinions and/or experiences with this product?

I have used it. Great product. It did fantastic this year even with a drought. I use it for the same reasons.

ForumRunner_20130108_120619.jpg

plot screen

Yeah that's the stuff. Since you know the owner I will also ask if you have ever used the Plot Screen by Frigid Forest? I would like to plant some of that to help get in/out of the stand without being seen and to make the deer feel more secure while in the openness of the plots but also to hide one of my fields from the road. Any opinions and/or experiences with this product?

Yes I have used Plot Screen. Unbelievable how tall this stuff gets. Great screen, and if you have game birds in your area, they feed in it all the time.

Big n Beasty is good stuff. I've had great success with it for years. Last year I had two ac of it next to standing beans. The big n beasty scored 12 sheds and the beans only had one.

I do know the owner so I'm probably biased. However, he uses only quality seeds and so far I have no complaints.

Seed cost is usually minimal compared to fertilizer, diesel and your time.

What's more important is the field prep, timing and more importantly rain.

I found two sheds in my 1/2 field of Big and Beasty in Minnesota, which is rare in MN

Great pictures! Thanks for all the advice! After seeing those picture I will definitely be planting both of these products!

Yes I have used Plot Screen. Unbelievable how tall this stuff gets. Great screen, and if you have game birds in your area, they feed in it all the time.

Just an FYI...while I think most of us would likely plant Egyptian Wheat to screen a field for deer hunting, etc. I did see some decent pheasant sign in my EW a couple of weeks ago when we got the storm/snow.

Although a lot of the EW has now fallen over, it is still quite good ground cover for birds in the winter. It reminded me of cattails in that the birds were tunnelling under it and they had good overhead cover with it.

Although I cannot say for sure, I also suspect that something helped the EW stalks get knocked over too, as there are few seed heads intact at this time. But even so, it is good to have it through the winter for small game too.

I plan on planting some just to let it stand this year, near areas that I otherwise have some pheasants. Even with our severe drought this past year it is one of the few things that actually grew with essentially no rain on it. That was impressive too.

Daver: Yep, Im going to plant a 2 acre block of it next year for pheasants...since it mixes eyptian wheat and sorghum *plot screen*

I think deer will bed in it as well, if it is in farm country

Top Bottom