Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Boy? Update from a few weeks ago...

FormulaLT1Power

So apparently this guy likes the area AND the camera! Follow up from this thread... http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47547

So looks like he's a solid 9 point...missing a brow tine. I'm wondering if he will pop more out...or just continue to grow in length. Yes, the picture dates are correct...actually got 2 about this size in the area (look at link above). I thought this guy was a 10, but judging by these pictures I'll say he's a 9. I don't have any close up pictures of the guy I'm thinking is an 8.

I can't tell if that's a little 'sticker' or not on the side missing the brow. Kind of looks like one, and possibly growing down? Easy to make stuff up...your thoughts?

PICT0014_zps7e6e9219.jpg

PICT0019_zpsbf4dc68f.jpg

PICT0021_zpsc560fe42.jpg

Last edited:
I would call him a big basic 8 with a big old sticker on his right. Looks like he will have a little junk here and there. Time will tell! Just think we have about 60 days to hard horn!

Nice looking buck. In reality he's got less than one month left to grow. Most deer are topped out by Aug 1st that I've seen. If they add anything it's less than 5 total inches after that date.

I think hes an 8pt with a little sticker(point closest to his base). Both of his brows are there, they just dont line up evenly like most. And I agree with hoosierhunter, most of the growing is upon us now and will be done by very early Aug.

Alright, so I can see what you guys are talking about with him being an 8.

Next question...shooter or no? And if yes, how well would you think he would score?

I shot a typical 4x4 last year, so trying to "beat" that. :)

Last edited:
He's fully mature from the one body picture you posted. He's be shot all day on my farms based on age and he's got some nice head gear as well. Trophy buck or management, either way put an arrow through him.

If YOU will be happy with him, than hes a "shooter".

If I have to question it, than its a no. Because you'll never be truly happy with it. If you see the buck and theres no doubt you want to kill it, do it. Youll be happy.

I shot a typical 4x4 last year, so trying to "beat" that. :)
Huge differences between one 4X4 to the next. I would guess this one will finish 140+. How big was your 8 last year? Where does this deer fit into the size of bucks for the area? How much time do you have to invest? How much upside potential if you let the deer walk? How much pressure in the area? Many deciding factors in your decision.

with a month of growth left, shooter!. giant 8 with awesome brows. im guessing hes going to top out at least upper 150s.. theres alot of tine and beamlength that will come quick in the next 3 weeks.

look at the first pict, his right browtine is as long as his right. It just dont look as long in the second and third pict because it leans back more than his left brow. 9" brows

Huge differences between one 4X4 to the next. I would guess this one will finish 140+. How big was your 8 last year? Where does this deer fit into the size of bucks for the area? How much time do you have to invest? How much upside potential if you let the deer walk? How much pressure in the area? Many deciding factors in your decision.

The buck I shot last year was the biggest deer I've ever shot (see picture below). He came from the same exact area as the trail cam buck above. The buck in the trail cam photos is the biggest deer I've got on camera (I think I have another one around his size). I've got plenty of time to invest...I've put a ton of work in already redoing food plots, running the camera, trimming/prepping stands, etc.

There's a lot of people hunting neighboring properties. We know the deer are mostly on my father-in-laws land, and the neighbor to the North (whom no one has permission to hunt). However as we all know, during the rut their "patterns" can and will change. So if I were to let him walk...not so sure the neighbors around would...

I'm stoked to see him continue to grow...as of now...he's a shooter and my #1 target buck!

deer1.jpg

look at the first pict, his right browtine is as long as his right. It just dont look as long in the second and third pict because it leans back more than his left brow. 9" brows

Great points...the angles of the pictures don't do his "length" justice. See the pic above of the 2012 buck I shot in the same area...he has long tines as well...

I'd love to find someone to tape my 2012 buck...so I can learn how to do it. :drink2:

Last edited:
Your 2012 buck scores between 115-120 inches as a reference for you.

Thank you. I'd still like to learn how to tape...and yes I've looked online (and tried myself)...and came up with some #s below 100...so I knew that wasn't' right. HAHA!

You would be making a sizable step up...I would mark him a shooter as would many. He is a great looking buck!

Yeah I think so too...the fun part is getting him on camera so many times! The tough part is yet to come...getting him to walk infront of me!

Great points...the angles of the pictures don't do his "length" justice. See the pic above of the 2012 buck I shot in the same area...he has long brows as well...

I'd love to find someone to tape my 2012 buck...so I can learn how to do it. :drink2:

Your 2012 buck does not have long brows, i think you are confusing something. As far as score, the buck you have pictures of is 20+ inches bigger than the buck you killed last year. Put an arrow in him!

You either forgot the mass or spread is my guess

I'm guessing you forgot the inside spread.?

No idea, LOL. I followed it step by step. Eventually will shoot a deer, and have him officially taped and try to come up with the same #s! :)

My jaw just literally dropped!

Mine did too...LOL

Your 2012 buck does not have long brows, i think you are confusing something. As far as score, the buck you have pictures of is 20+ inches bigger than the buck you killed last year. Put an arrow in him!

I meant long tines...not brows. The 2012 buck had nubs for brows...lol! Hopefully MY arrow will fly through the 2013 trail camera stud!

Top Bottom