Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Bucks In CRP!! Need some advice!!

All, I have located 3 bucks that are real hawgs but they are staying in my switch and CRP fields and I can't get close without them knowing I am there! They all are in different fields and there are no good ambush spots around thier core areas so what do I do? Do I push the issue and try to get in close to where I think they will be? Do I set back and wait for them to go to the does during rut? Do I waste valueble hunt time and be patient by setting up in an observation point looking for them and their patterns?? So far all I have been getting from their habits is they stay in the grass until after dark and I haven't seen them getting back home late in the mornings so they haven't got this big by being lucky!! My buddy found one of there sheds this weekend when he dropped a pheasant within inches of it! G-2 is over 14" WOW!! I don't want my muzzleloader kill to get lonely on the wall so I need to get one of these big boys harvested!! I also want to get them before they stray to far away from home!! Later T$

Thunder Ridge, in my humble opinion, if I were you I would camp out in a spot between the crp and water or food this friday, saturday, and sunday. The moon is in tha last quarter and it is likely that deer could be active anytime of day. Also, if you know where the does are bedding, those bucks are gonna be regularly visiting that area if they arn't already. If you've seen them several times I don't think they all are gonna move out. Someone has to take care of the does..................be patient............good luck

ThunderRidge, try using a ground blind. Set up along the trails you see them frequenting the most leading to and from these fields.

When the big bucks start searching and ranging out away from their core areas looking for those early does, morning can sneak up on them real easy. You might try setting up on a trail to the bedding area and hope they lose track of time.
Good luck however you go after these fellas, we'll be expecting some pics soon.
smile.gif

I live for situations like that. Get to where you can watch a buck bed down in the morning, then go in after him. It is the most awesome hunting experience to spot and stalk one of those boys on the groud. Take your time and plan to spend a couple hours at least to do it right. Man there's no bigger thrill than creeping up on one and shooting him.

Depending on your doe/buck ratio, I would try to use a decoy and rattle them away from the cover. If you are concerned about trying to stalk and spooking them away, don't mess it up, but if it was me it sounds like an excellent opportunity to put on a stalk. If your really brave, saturate your clothes with dominate buck urine and start calling em out
grin.gif

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

I read a few articles about this from VERY successful hunters. (180, 190, 200, 190 P&Y, etc.) Used on mulies, but I'm sure would apply. Conditions must be perfect since you'll only get one chance. First locate a buck from a distance. Now see if you can stalk him when conditions allow for a favorable wind, with the sun at your back. Obviously this would not work with a west wind in the evening. The wind should be strong enough to cover any noise you would make.

Although I have not had the chance to try this method, I have approached a mature buck while hiking under these conditions and he never knew I was there. Got within 30 yards. And there was actually very little wind that time. I would try now before they start moving a lot.

Not to change the subject, but do you sell chocolate labs. I bought my male from a thunder ridge ranch down by Olds, IA in the winter of 1996.
email: westrhof@iastate.edu

Hey Thunder Ridge, what you need to do is put that bow away and help your buddy slim hunt down one of those monsters so I can fill up some of this wall space at my cabin. I scratch your s you scratch mine!!!!
beerchug.gif

Ditto to Primetime's thoughts. Decoy & Rattling/Grunting from a position of your choice.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom