Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big IA 8 pointer

chappy73

11-1

Slept in the night before out of sheer laziness and geared up for an afternoon hunt. Got in the ladder stand around 1:30ish and noticed it was creaky is heck and figured I wouldn't see anything here w/o spooking them first. Almost moved to a different stand because of it, but decided to stick it out. Things were pretty dull so I blind grunted around 3:00 to liven things up. About 1/2 hour later I heard some grunting to my right followed by a snort wheeze each time. Guessing he thought there was another buck in the area. I couldn't see anything at this point but readied myself toward the sound. Out stepped this beautiful, wide 8 that stood there looking into another part of the timber so I'm guessing he must've had a doe with him. I drew back just as he started moving, gave him an "ert" grunt sound that took 2 times for him to stop at my 22 yard lane. Put the 20 pin right on him and released a perfect shot right in the lungs behind the shoulder. He jumped went a little ways and continued to look at the doe in the woods. Blood was gushing out of the wound and his mouth and he laid down about 50 yards from the stand and expired. Felt that little bit of sadness and happiness most hunters get as I watched him die. I was very thankful for this deer as time was limited due to familial duties. Great lesson how things can turn on a dime. Found the arrow and followed the blood trail for fun and walked up to this beast. He was just as I thought; a wide, beautiful 8 pt with decent mass. Just a beautiful IA deer. Thank goodness my brother was hunting the same timber and helped me drag this big boy out. Don't know what he'll score but will probably be the biggest 8 I'll ever kill. Hopefully the wife is okay with another mount though funds are tight :) Feeling very blessed right now.

IMG_0982_zps57a17160.jpg

Last edited:
Nice buck! don't count yourself out of shooting a bigger 8 though I have a 163" eight & have found sheds off an eight that would have been around 166" there are a few out there.Congrats!

Dandy 8 for sure. Love the hat too!!! Still waiting for my new one

Congrats on that stud

Kratz

I should've cleaned him up a little more before the pics. Learned my lesson there. Eyes look a little funky too.

Top Bottom