Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Non-Typical Buck Goes Down

Seth

Earlier tonight, (october 22nd) I decided to hunt my family's farm. The entire season I have been hunting antlerless in a nearby state park because last year I drew a buck tag for this season and I'd seen some monsters last year in the park. My brother (who also hunts the state park) decided to hunt a spot on our family farm so I decided to try it out as well. I had my state-wide bow tag but I bought a county doe tag in hopes that I would at least get a shot at a nice doe for the freezer. I was in my climber stand in a tree I had scouted in late summer. It was the first time I'd been to this spot. It was on the edge of a small tract of timber facing the edge of a cornfield and it had a lot of deer sign in front of it. As I sat there facing a strong, ice cold west wind for a little over 2 hours I contemplated getting down. I looked to my left in the timber and noticed a deer. Unfortunetly it was a small 6 but then I saw he was with a friend who happened to resemble a moose. I slowly stood up and thought to myself, "No way my dad or brother will believe I saw a deer this big." I didn't even think I would get a shot so I reached for my grunt call. As I did he started walking towards my stand. I put my grunt tube away and watched as he emerged from the timber, turned and walked along the edge of the cornfield I was facing and presented the shot every archer dreams about on a buck of that size- 10 yards, perfectly broad side. I drew, stopped him, and let loose. I instantly knew it was a good hit because I saw blood pouring right away. I called my dad and he came as soon as he could. We tracked him for about 70 yards and found him piled up in a washout. After caping him out we removed his youth football sized heart (my dad likes to eat them) and found that my Muzzy went straight through the middle of it. We roughly scored him at 203 3/8 non typical. He's got it all. A 2 foot inside spread, palmation, mass, a droptine, and all sorts of other cool junk. No one that hunts my farm or any neighboring farm had ever seen him before. It was almost as if he was a ghost that decided to take a sunday afternoon stroll on the wrong sunday afternoon. This pic is the only one I could get up this quick, it's from my brother's cell phone. More to come soon! Happy Hunting!!
6821The_Bartlett_Buck_2.jpg

Top Bottom