Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Biggest Gobbler I have ever shot!!!!

simplesimon

Shot this guy Saturday morning around 9:30. He was hammering his head off. The beard got cut off in the picture but he was 18lbs, 10.5 inch beard and 1 1/4 spurs.

2812Turkey_1-med.jpg

Thanks liv4rut, I am going to try to take the next one with a bow! Do you have much success in the afternoons and if you do what approach do you take to increase your chances. Input from anyone would be great.

i dont know dirtball i have never shot a turky mabey this weekend 2nd season ill get one
grin.gif

Nice bird and pic!
My first bird years ago was shot late in the afternoon on a hot, steamy 4th season hunt. I just happened to strike up a bird and he came right in. Just sit in an area the birds want to go, and you'll have some good luck. I have shot a few more in the afternoon, and I tagged those just because I knew where the birds wanted to go.....doing your homework is priceless!

Afternoons can be very boring but can reap big rewards. I had tagged several toms in the p.m., opening day took my 74 year old dad out for a p.m.hunt. I try a loctor call but most of the time I just sit and call every now and then. After awhile I will call and then gobble, I do that several times and then sit back and wait. Most of the time a tom won't gobble just comes in silent and alot of the time in full strut. This is just what happened to us opening day. After waking my dad up he shot a 28 lb. w/ 11" beard tom. In the p.m that tom is looking for a hen and when he hears a gobble he'll come to check what the tom is gobbleing about. good luck!!!

Sorry SplitG3, Next time I will comb my hair. The only one worth impressing on this site is Kat and she is already taken. Of course I am married too so there is not much styling and profiling when I am hunting. I guess I could of fixed my hair. That is the least I could do for that gobbler coming in to take advantage of me!!!!Next time I will wear my hat.
grin.gif

Nice bird, as for afternoons, be were they want to go-as in stuting zones and feeding areas. Preseason scouting really pays off when hunting in the afternoon. Good Luck. Can't wait until the 4th season opens.

Top Bottom