Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bird Down

DoneRight

PMA Member
Bird Down Pics & Story Added

First bird of the season down @ 10:30 this morning. Pics and story up this afternoon hopefully. FYI its a good un.

Last edited:
This morning started of really slow. Liv apparently beat all of us to the field this morning, early bird cathes the worm right Liv? Any how, got to the field and got set up in the high winds. Couldn't hear a thing where I was set up at first light. Then the stake on my pretty boy got snapped by the wind. Then mother nature called, and I could tell it was gonna be one of those days. So about 8:30 I picked up and moved to the bottoms thinking there would be some birds hunkered down in out of the wind. Got set up and called for awhile. But the sweat I worked up just made me cold. I stuck it out till about 9:30 and headed for the truck. I only heard one gobble and it sounded like it was 4 miles away. I got to the truck and got changed and just left the run & gun stuff in the back seat. I went for a drive to scout some other fields for tomorrow morning. I pulled in one of our hayfields and up over the hill and turned the truck off to watch a couple of does down on our bottom. I look over along our timberline and here comes a hen, and then 3 more. I started glassing the tree edge & I could just see the tips of a fan. The hens started to go back to the timber a few minutes later. So I fired up the truck and slowly backed up over the hill. I'm gonna get this bird ( I was thinking to myself). I turned the truck off grabbed the gun, 3 shells, face mask, jacket and I was off.
The minute I stepped into the timber to start my stalk, I tripped over a shed. I thought to myself ah ****. That usually spells bad luck for me when hunting ( when I find a shed while actually hunting). But I hung the shed up in a tree, to snatch on my way out. I continued on. I snuck up within 30 yds of this bird. I watched him mount 2 different hens in a half hour. Before he finally provided me a shot. I let him have it on the first opportunity he gave me. I picked him up, grabbed my shed on the way out and headed to my dad's to show him off. This is the first bird I've ever killed on opening day. So I was pretty pumped. So what started off as a case of the Mondays, ended up being one of the best spot & stalk hunts I've had. He ended up @ 23lb 6 oz., 1" left spur, 1 1/8" right spur, and he had 1 strand on his beard that measured right at 12". So 23.375+10+11.25+24 = 68.625 .
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Good Luck to the rest of you!

Last edited:
I talked to quite a few people who said that the birds didn't gobble much on the roost in this wind. Way to make it happen! Congrats

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Liv apparently beat all of us to the field this morning, early bird cathes the worm right Liv?

Unfortunately this early bird didn't catch the worm today!! I did end up with a nice miss with the bow mid morning. :thrwrck: That just means I get to go again. :way:

Awesome hunt and congratulations!!

Nice bird partner! Rainouts and rescheduling of games kept me away from 1st season. We play Saturday but are off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so I may be going 2nd Season.

Nice bird partner! Rainouts and rescheduling of games kept me away from 1st season. We play Saturday but are off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday so I may be going 2nd Season.

Good luck! I'm trying to save a few birds for you to choose from, if we get to hook up 4th season. But they just keep cooperating and getting shot:D

That sounds like a good deal and a bad problem to have. I would definitely like to meet up and hunt together.

Top Bottom