Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bird Down!

DoneRight

PMA Member
So for those that have read my posts in the past, most know me as a spot and stalk Turkey hunter. I can call with the best of them, but prefer the challenge of spotting and stalking the elusive and keen eyed Wild Turkey. For me its a rush, its a way to test my woodsmanship and a way to push myself.

So opening day of first season, the only day I knew I for sure had to go, was the crappiest day I've personally ever Turkey hunted. Snow, rain and wind the night before and a hunting partner than crapped out on me at 5 am Monday morning. I was bound and determined to go, just to get out. I set up on a wooded fence line between to swales where birds had been strutting when it was windy out. I was watching a bunch of hens in the trees at 7 am when a tom gobbled 10 yds behind me and about gave me a heart attack. I tried to turn and get on him, but I was busted and figured I shouldn't educate him any further than he already was. I continued to watch the hens in the trees until about 8 am when they finally flew down to our lower field. I decided to make my move, I was freezing my butt off anyway. I made my way down to the creek, which was ankle deep the Saturday before and now was over knee deep. I spotted 2 toms and 13 hens in the lower field working their way to the timber to the north of an alfalfa feild, and decided there was only one way to get on them and that was to get wet. I traversed the creek as quietly and carefully as I could. I still got 2 knee boots full of water and was freezing cold. I got to a point where I thought I could get up out of the creek and see if they were possibly in range. I climbed up and the toms were about 60 yds out. I needed to get a little closer so i crawled about 20 yds to a dead fall and waited quietly and patiently for a good hour. The hens finally led the gobblers 20 yds from me and I let the gun bark. Good Tom not my best but after the deer season I went through last year was extremely excited to have a successful hunt. Bird went 23 lbs 1 1/8" spurs and 10 1/2" beard.

picture.php

Good job partner! My son got it done this morning, I will post his story later on when I have a little more time.

Top Bottom