Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

blackpowder season results ???

moosehunter

PMA Member
sure would like to find out how others did during muzzleloader season. i saw lots of deer every day, and decent bucks everyday also. i hunted out of 4 stands in about 250 acres of woods. one stand in particular was very good for seeing deer. late monday afternoon i had a 150 inch 8 pointer at 40 yrds, but he needed to take a couple more steps for a shot. of course he turned and walked straight away from me. i coaxed him back with a couple of grunts but he never stepped into the open. (he knew something was up) Was still a great to see though. i had 5 or 6 other 120 inch class bucks i passed on. before season i had a camera out and got pics of a 13 pointer, a tall 9 or 10, (bad angle on that pic) and several 8's. and during preseason scouting i glassed a 14 pointer i would guess would do better than 170, and the landowner told me of a huge drop tine 8 he had seen during the summer although i never saw this deer. i ended up with a 130 inch 9 pointer on saturday that i put down at 120yds with my knight disc. i never did see any of the deer i saw and scouted during preseason.
i also tried rattling a few times this year after posting a question or two in the conference. i had lots of good advice and ideas to try. i didn't have very good results but i am not discouraged either. i will still try it and experiment around with it. i know it works but i think the conditions have to be just right. i still am convinced that harvesting a mature whitetail trophy is 90% luck and 10% skill. all the fancy gadgets and scents and everything else thats for sale for deer hunting is in my mind is designed to seperate you and your wallet. the 10% skill is stand placement, playing the wind, and shooting straight. (bow or gun). the 90% luck is just that but, the more your out there in the stand or what ever, the more luck you should have. i sure don't claim to be an expert on whitetails, there are many of you on this site that know alot more than me. i am just posting my thoughts after enjoying a great season. now i can't hardly wait to take out my youngest boy during late season and try to get that 170 incher. not sure it it will work but i am gonna try to post a pic of the 9 i shot.
thanks to everyone who responded to my previous questions...............

IA2.jpg

Moosehunter,

Nice buck!

Thanks for sharing your hunt and success. We would love to see your photo's! Just e-mail or post. Speaking of posting photo's you did a good job posting your pic we just needed to resize it.We like 400 x 300 pixels but 600 x 300 will work too.Anyway, good buck.

PS, we have not heard of too many big buck kills early season muzzleloader and we have a pretty large network of hunters throughout the state. I would say this week a few more photo's will show up though, kinda like yours.

Thanks again!

nice buck moosehunter, he's a little larger than the one i shot with the bow on Friday night. congrats on a fine animal.

Heck of a nice buck there Perry !!!
grin.gif
Even though I saw the pics at work monday thought I would give you a public atta boy as well!!
beerchug.gif
I just hope I can see a buck anywhere near as nice as the ones you saw last week.

Nice buck! Take a camera or video with you when you take your youngest son out. Capture those memories!

Old Buck

hey there MD
wavey.gif
, thanks for pat on the back. keep on hittin the stand and you should get one too. if you don't get one with a bow there's always gun season
rambo.gif

Top Bottom