Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blind Sow or whoever

jharrell

Would it be legal to use a radio to talk to my son when bow hunting for deer? If I read it right in the rule book it says no electronic devices. Is that just calls or does that mean radios as well? Since we do nothing but tree stands this would be for peace of mind on my part to make sure he is in and out of the stand ok.

the book says,
it is illegal to use ONE-or TWO-way radios to COMMUNICATE THE LOCATION OR DIRECTION of game or furbearing animals. or to COORDINATE THE MOVEMENT OF OTHER HUNTERS.

So this means that you can use them, just not to use them for telling others where deer are or where the hunter should go. It says nothing about taking them out and using them to talk or for safety

It might be very hard to convince a warden that you were only using the radios for safty. Most of the codes talk about intent to break the law and having the radios could be intent. What happens if your son gets excited and calls you about the big one that just ran over your way, if the wardens hear it you are busted. Best bet in my opinoun is to leave radios home.

This past weekend during the second shotgun deer season opener the use of the two-way radios (mostly Motorola Talkabouts) was rampant--and not for safety--as some of them claimed. They were all cited for illegal use of mobile transmitters ($80). With illegal use there is also a very good chance they will be seized for a condemnation hearing.

In our southwest district on Sunday alone we issued almost 50 citations for loaded shotguns, chasing deer with vehicles, hunting deer with no license and illegal use of mobile transmitters. If anything this activity seems to be increasing rather than decreasing.

If they, or CBs are used only for safety, or to say, "It's time for lunch, let's met back at the truck" there would be no problem.

But if anyone is actually using them in this manner they are in the distinct minority.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

...does this mean there might be a few talkabouts available at this year's State Auction?...

Since you brought this up, I will tell you about my experience this year.

My two hunting companions were setting in seperate locations within a mile of each other had the popular "walkie talkies" and were only checking in periodically to see what was going on with each other.

When Joe came out of the woods at noon the DNR was waiting and asked him if he was Joe or Bob. They then asked where Bob was.

They had been monitoring the communications with a scanner. Since Joe & Bob were not pursuing or controlling the hunting the DNR did not make a big deal out of it but warned Joe about the consequences.

I thought it was very funny as both these guys are very consciencious of being legal hunters and it scared the crap out of them and they will not be taking them along anymore.
grin.gif

Unfortunately, we have guys up here who chase and run over deer and are guilty of all the things Blind Sow mentioned too. How many stories do you want to hear of holes in floorboards and tires from loaded guns, bent frames, pick-ups in ditches, broken grills, running deer into fences,etc.,etc. I understand State Patrol mans TIP line and response has unfortunately not been that good.

I personally don't see how in a bow hunting situation, at least in the case of our hunting group, how a radio could do a guy any good other than for saftey or to say "I'm heading in." We always setup so far apart that we could never possibly see the same deer, so telling a guy that a deer is coming his way would be out of the question. I do understand why it is illegal to use them to direct other hunters to game, but, as a saftey tool I think they are invaluable.

Reference hunt-m-up's statement on poor response from the state patrol on TIP calls.

Granted state radio is under DPS (Department of Public Safety) as are the Iowa State Patrol, but the ISP is not responsible for TIP calls--state radio is.

During the weekdays (M-F) 8 AM - 4:30 PM (those are the rough hours) TIP calls are received in the DNR Des Moines headquarters. Outside of those hours (after closing and on weekends) TIP calls go to state radio in Des Moines and are then dispensed to the local conservation officer.

I can only speak for our southwest district but when the DNR DM office is closed as soon as state radio gets a TIP call it is forwarded to the local conservation officer. I don't know where the "poor response" statement would be coming from.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

I'm sure our law enforcement officers respond as quickly as possible. Problem is that there are too few covering too wide of an area to be able to quickly respond to each call. This is especially true on an opening weekend where everyone and his brother are out in the field. This is a problem with all state fish and game agencies and is not unique to Iowa.

Blind Sow, I'm sorry if I implied any fault on the part of the DNR. Let me qualify my statement. This call was made last year/2001 on a weekend evening during shotgun season around 7 or 8 maybe. I had heard the stories and knew they would be at it the following day again. I explained that they were running them with pick-ups, radios,etc. The first thing this individual said after my explanation was, "well, this is the state patrol..." And I had specifically called the TIP line. That was fine with me I just wanted someone to forward the info., but then he went on to ask if they were doing it "now". It was dark and no they weren't I explained, but would be tomorrow. From that point he gave up and explained that if they weren't currently in the act, there was not much he could do.
I understood this was a tip or "lead" line. Maybe it was the volume of calls during this time period or other circumstances; I understand this would be a hectic time of year. But, his response left serious doubt this was being forwarded on. Thank you.

Hunt-m-up: Yes the DNR officers are in short supply, but I got to know the new officer in my area he gave me his card with his cell phone, and office number told me to call when ever I wanted. I figured it is faster than the TIP number, if I get his voice mail it may take a few hours but he always returns my call. The size of the area he travels is unreal. By the way I don't get any special treatmant from him, one day he stopped me and checked for loaded guns and licenses. Al

Top Bottom