Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blood trail

I'm red/green colorblind and have become a pest to friends.

My suggestion: get a bloodhound. Haven't needed him since I got him, all the deer I have shot since then have all dropped in sight/earshot.:confused:

I really hate to ask others to help with any. I guess one would say I am a typical hard headed male. Long story short.

I don't want to sound harsh, but when it comes to hunting, most men and women aren't too stubborn to ask for help. Seriously, I've never known any hunter that wasn't more than happy to help out another hunter track a deer. Heck, I've missed work to help somebody else track.

I don't want to sound harsh, but when it comes to hunting, most men and women aren't too stubborn to ask for help. Seriously, I've never known any hunter that wasn't more than happy to help out another hunter track a deer. Heck, I've missed work to help somebody else track.

I have done the same. Not that i was much help tracking, but a good mule after we found the game. I have missed worked and weddings to help friends. I use to have a couple of good friends that would help every year.I was ran off that property by some of these so called friends, mainly because they were jealous of the deer I was shooting. Anyways since then I have started hunting new ground a long ways away from friends that would help. There are two friends in the area that could have helped, one was busy picking beans and the other just had a baby and is dealing with that. So after that I am a little worried about asking for help sometimes!

Call me anytime you need help. I am close and can help you anytime. I have plenty of lights and can track pretty decent.

Tracking is another exciting part about hunting...I have two older brothers who also cannot see blood... I couldn't imagine not being able to
See it... To me the tracking is just as much as much a rush as the initial shot. Only one thing that beats it and that's hearing the critter crash and knowing they're down. Goodluck!

I have been hard core bow hunter since about 1990. It wasnt until I took a color blind test in 1994 that I realized how bad I was. In the early years I only recovered about 50%. Then I began to get help. My dad who passed away in 2011 was a awesome tracker but my son has helped me since he was 6 years old. Not only can he see like a hawk but being 3 foot tall meant nothing got passed him now he is 11 and we rarely lose a deer. He has 3 deer of his own under his belt now including his first bow kill on monday. He likes tracking more than hunting!!!! Last year he tracked a friends 10 pt 1.5 miles! Bottom line take a kid he or she will love it!

I have a gerber blood light and would be lost without it.. I am red/green color blind and cant usually see any blood without that light...I have tried many other lights, and its just the one that works for me...

Don't be afraid to ask, even if you don't know the guy very well, I can't imagine not helping someone out. I bet 90% of hunters would help a complete stranger out with this. I know I would.
I was hunting northern MO one yr and killed a nice buck about1/3 mile off the road, corn was still standing , so I could not get to him. I hauled all oft gear to the truck, and was getting ready to go back and quarter the deer to get him out. Two locals happen to stop by to see what was up, and ended up just helping me drag it out. I will never forget those guys.

Sounds like color blindness is more common than I thought. That sucks guys, sorry to hear about it. Hope ya find somethin that works for ya.
I'm finding that too. I work with a guy who is color blind, and my wife's brother is also color blind.

Hydrogen Peroxide bubbles when it comes in contact with blood, you could carry a spray bottle of that if you're really desperate.
I was thinking this same thing. Haven't ever tried it, and actually just stumbled upon this tip earlier this year. Only they put in orange food coloring with the peroxide in a spray bottle, then just start spraying at the last sign of the trail. I guess the food coloring might not matter if you can't see the color.

We've had to track several, and unfortunately have lost a few due to losing the trail. It can be really hard sometimes, and always makes for a poor ending to the hunt.

I've been bowhunting since 1978! (WOW that makes me a expert Or old!!!Not saying it is in your case but!!!!!! What you think you saw at the shot may not be what it was!! Any way! Never hurts to have more eyes!!!

Tink's makes a product called Starlight Bloodhound, that when sprayed on blood causes it to glow a flourescent blue color. Works better the darker it is, but there again may not help if you can't see the blue. I would not hesitate to help anyone out including someone I just bumped into so that may still be your best option

Sent from my iPhone using IW

same here- I live around Waukee but I hunt in the Afton/Arispee area and always around to help

Top Bottom