Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Boiling Skull?

Dbl.throat_patch

dbl.throat_patch
I started to boil my buck's skull today at about 11:30 am. Does anyone know, approxamatly how long I need to boil it before heading to the car wash.
Thanks in advanced for anyhelp.

I haven't done one myself, but a friend of mine has done a few. He boiled for an hour or so, picked and scraped, boiled for another 1/2 hour, picked and scraped, . . . the one thing he told me was that you have to be really careful not to break of the thin bones in the nasal cavity. You may want to watch out for that if you are going to use the pressure washer. Good luck and show us a pic when you are done.

I simmer mine for about 8 hours and change the water once then put dish soap in to degrease the bone.

I skipped the boiling on my last one and used the fire departments heated power washer. Worked pretty good. Still have alot of work ahead of ya, good luck, they are a pain.

Ok here is where I am. I have the skull boiled and cleaned. My question now is, What do I use to make it more white, (other than paint)? Also, around the nose area things feel a little loose, do I need to glue the loose areas to keep them from falling out.
726P1010010-med.JPG

Once the skull dries it will whiten out, I have two european monts and one I covered in a clear lauqer ans the other is regular. The laquered one has yellowed, dont do that, Ide just leave it alone. If thier are lose areas i would not hesitate to glue them but Ive never experienced that.

Cabelas has a bleaching kit they sell. I have used it on a buffalo skull and it worked for me.

Hydrogen peroxide does the best job in my opinion. I have done a few skulls and had great results with it. Wet paper towels with peroxide and then carefully pack the cavities. Then wrap the skull with a tight layer of soaked paper towels. Be careful not to get peroxide on the antlers. I have used regular store bought peroxide. I leave the skull wrapped for approx. 48 hrs, rewetting it as needed. The skull will whiten and turn into a somewhat pearl looking surface.

That's what works for me.

Good luck

Top Bottom