Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow Strings and Optics

charbs82

So I've been thinking about putting new strings on my bow but was looking for your opinions on which kind you all like.

Also, thinking about picking up a Nikon Archers Choice range finder. Just trying to decide if I want to drop the dough. Does anyone have or use one and if so what do you think? Or something cheaper but works the same.

Let me know what you guys think.

My favorite strings so far are called Scotts strings. As far as a rangefinder you dont really need the angle compensator. I have yet to find more than a 2 yard difference from a tree. I wouldnt waste my money on the archers choice due to limited yardage in case you ever gun hunt or go out west. I would go with the nikon rifle hunter 550. It is exactly the same thing as the archers choice but much more range. It does the .2 yard increments out to 100 yards as well.

I personally have not used Scotts string but many people around my work have had nothing but good things to say so Id take a look at them.
http://www.scottsstrings.com/5301.html

Also I have to second liv4rut again by saing I used a rangefinder that had the arrow drop compensater it was the leupold 750 however I took it back because it too me there was not a huge difference in arrow drop however if your shooting rifle it would be nice.

Just put new winners choice on a few weeks ago, so far there is not twist (Metapeep) and no rotation needed for proper alignment. Much better then my stocker cables and strings.

As far as range finders, I really like my Leica, no frills and a very clean display with the best clarity IMO.

I think I will be going with a rangefinder that I could use for other things as well. With only the minimal difference and for the prices I definately want to get something that I can use for multiple applications. Thanks guys.

I have the Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC and love it. Back in the midwest in a treestand, I can see Liv's point of view and can't disagree. Of course, most of my hunting is out here in the mountains and the angle are much steeper on average. I have seen a noticeable difference on good, steep slopes (3-5 yards at times). I've used it quite a bit rifle hunting too and it in those same slopes, it makes a big difference. I've used it effectively to range targets (deer, pigs, elk) out to 500+ yards and other larger stuff (rocks, buildings, large trees to 600 yards plus.

Makes sense, all of us flatlanders hanging out in Iowa we don't see that much drop. In the mountains thats a whole new ballgame.

Top Bottom