Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowfishing?

Ilike to bowfish flooded areas of any rivers since the water is usually clear and it is easy to wade and get point blank shots. I shoot instintive with a old compound rigged with a retreiver reel and have good luck with harpoon heads. Muzzys wire isn,t tough enough for the long run. Buffalo carp off the Ventura grade on Clear Lake is a blast! Lots of action on 20 lb plus fish! You,ve got to try it!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadisonB&C:
I've been thinking about bowfishing for a while now, and after reading some of these posts, I don't want to wait another season. I know the basic gear, but I really don't know how to go about finding the fish. What kind of places should I look for? Can I do it from land? Basically any advice to help a beginner would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cityhick

I started with a spool kit that came with an arrow. Bought it at AFS in 1986.
($15 back then)

Just a plastic spool with heavy white line. There's a bolt through the spool that mounts it where your stabilizer goes.

It unravels fine when shooting, just nicer having an actual reel.

Cityhick87-

I put a Zebco 808 on an old Bear compound the ghetto way. The stabilizer mount on my bow is actually a course threaded hollow screw (3/8" I think) with fine threads on the inside that the stabilizer screws into. I took this out, bought a 5" or 6" bolt, one lock nut and two metal hose clamps. I put the lock nut on the bolt, screwed the bolt into the bow, tightened the lock nut up against the riser, clamped the reel to the bolt, and taped up the clamp ends so there weren't any sharp edges. Works like a champ. There is another way if you don't have a similar stabilizer setup, but it is even more ghetto and doesn't work as well. Get a piece of all-threaded rod to screw into your stabilizer mount. I think it is 5/16" fine thread. Get a short piece of wooden dowel. Drill a hole in the end of the dowel and glue the all-thread in the hole. Then clamp your reel to the dowel. I tried this way first and it didn't work real well. Hope this helps.
Hadwin

Since it's a relevant subject did anybody see the new Bowhunter magazines articles on bowfishing for alligator gar and buffalo fishes? Holy cow! If you havn't seen it pick up the magazine and at least look at the pictures, I got it in the mail and my mouth dropped when I saw the pics of the ally gars! When fish start hitting 6 feet long and longer plus they weigh more than me I start thinking of moving south!

Muddy
Look up some web sites on Texas or Arkansas bowfishing. They have alot of pictures of aligator gar. Texas has the world record aligator gar. It weighs an impressive 290 pounds.

thanks BB184, I will on some spare time at work today. I would LOVE to get into some prime bowfishing on those guys, I wonder what the price would end up being?

Muddy
I just checked on an outfitter called Kimo's bowfishing Texas. They are located at Del Rio, Texas. All you need to pay for is your travel, Texas fishing license, and your hotel and the guide fee. There is no hidden fees like gas, oil, or wear and tear on equipment. He charges just 150 dollars a day per person.
You can go fishing at night or during the day, your preference. You can also go for carp, Gizzard Shad, Spotted gar, Needle nose gar, and talopia. You also need to bring your on equipment. Just trying to help. Ryan

[This message has been edited by big buck 184 (edited 03-23-2002).]

Top Bottom