Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting jacket

DWilk

This could probably be put in the tech talk forum so admins move it if you feel necessary!

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone is wearing for a jacket this fall. Specifically, I am wondering what everyone is wearing at around the 20-40 degree range. It is so hard to get warmth without sacrificing mobility. What are your secrets? What is the best buy out there right now? I haven't bought camo for years.

At 20-40 I wear a under layer or underarmor. Pants. Shirt. Fleece sweatshirt. With camo coveralls over it all and im good to sit all day.

Underarmor is expensive but its well worth. Im sure you have heard that before, though.

I am also a huge fan of under armour. I wear a cold gear under armour, cotton long sleve, and a wind stopping fleece long sleeve at 30 and up. If it dips down to 20 I would have to either double up on the fleece long sleeves or a nice vest would also be an option.

Under Armour...Sweatshirt...Gray Wolf Woolens
thumbsup.gif

I agree with the underarmor and one more thing that helps me is a fleece vest under the top layer. The vest helps keep your core temp up without restricting your mobility as much as a full jacket.

I like to go layers and very rarely wear an actual jacket unless it's super cold.
My typical "git up" goes like this for 30-40ish weather.
1.Cabelas light wt. base layer (underarmour is nice too...my brother likes it alot, never tried it myself)
2.Cablelas polartech heavy base layer
3.Sitka Traverse (or summit) shirt
4.Drake turtle neck http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/products/DW130.php . Which I absolutely love for warm. Great product.
5. Summit Celsius vest.

50ish I just remove the Drake

55ish I just remove the polartech

60 ish I remove both base layers

warmer I just wear the Traverse shirt alone.

Under Armour Cold Gear
Cabelas windstopper sweater
Light Jacket, going with a predator camo fleece this year
-20 to +10 I usually switch over to my columbia wool bibs and jacket instead of the light jacket and throw on a neck gaitor.

I have a pretty light camo jacket but layers are key for me. From 20 - 60 I have it all in layers. Best item I purchased for a warm layer was a genuine wool sweater. Other than that, long johns and light pull-overs.

I'm with the layering crowd on this one, with a wool jacket for the last layer. I used to use underarmour but that stuff makes me sweat like crazy walking to the stand and then I would freeze no matter what I had on. Now I just wear some long johns, sweatpants and a cotton shirt to the stand and pack in my wool outer layer, throw those and my harness on at the stand site and I'm good to go.

I used to use underarmour but that stuff makes me sweat like crazy walking to the stand and then I would freeze no matter what I had on.QUOTE]

I am with you on this, the stuff will make you sweat if you are layered up on the way to the stand. I can't even wear a hat to the stand if it isn't under 40 degrees cuz I am so hot blooded.

Now I wear only the underarmour long sleeve to the stand and then put the other clothes once in/at the stand. I hope my gut hanging out of the under armour doesn't scare the deer off! :grin: Too bad the body in the under armour ad's doesn't come with the gear.

I am with the rest of the group, underarmor cold gear and then in layers from inside to out. One key tip I got a few years ago is packing in a set of lined windbreakers, top and bottom. Most people already have a set from job, your area high school team, NFL, WTU or DU, Nike, or even a seed corn giveaway, They take up zero room in the pack and make an unbelieveable differnce keeping wind out and your body heat in. Caution- layer under and over them so they become quiet, and don't walk around in them or you will sweat.

Cabela's windstopper sweater is the real deal!! Also have a fleece jacket with the windstopper deal and it do work!!! Layering is the answer! :way:

Like the other guys said, you can't beat that Cabelas wool stuff. If you are a bowhunter it's nice because it's not only warm, but fits snug to keep out of your way. Snug, yet it's flexible as to not limit your movement. Very comfortable

I layer up also. Using a mix of various weight poly thermals, then my top layer is the Cabelas' camo wool sweaters. I wear one sweater down to 40 degrees and wear two (one being a size larger) for anything below. I don't have the wind stopper versions. If it gets windy enough to blow through the sweaters I'll put a camo windbreaker overtop.

Under Armor Heat Gear top & bottom.
Justin Charles light wool long underwear top & bottom.
King of the mountain Light wool pants.
King of the Mountain Bowhunter Jacket- Best piece of equip. I own.

i wear a dream season scent loc over everything but usually wear the underarmour cold stuff than a polyunderwear top over that both top and bottom, than a cabelas windshear turtleneck and a cotton sweater. than the dream season coat..i recently bought a heavier columbia fleectype jacket that i havent tried yet in actual conditions. i did put it under the dream season jacket and shot with it so mobility is fine.. i will see this weekend maybe as its snowing now here in wis

Top Bottom