Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brain damaging land Prices

Another thing with gold..
How are gains on gold taxed?

Image result for profit on precious metals taxed as

Gold is subject to a 28% long term capital gains tax rate by the IRS.
A lot of gold & silver transfers from generation to generation and is not taxed.

Safes are private and who’s keeping track? I’m a fan of gold and silver but only at say 1-5% of your total portfolio.

Safes are private and who’s keeping track? I’m a fan of gold and silver but only at say 1-5% of your total portfolio.
I mentioned “windfall” as like Lotto and even then I would keep it under 10%.

Then, I want to hold it at home in a safe. I don’t trust companies to hold it in reserve. Then, who wants $100K of metal in their house. Word gets out.

Land is limited, they ain’t making more, but they are ripping gold out of the ground world wide.

Again, when the dollar tanks, a reserve of gold/silver/lithium/copper will be available to barter.

I physically own no precious metals at this point, maybe in part of my IRA. Even my wedding ring isn’t gold.

When SHTF, I don’t think the IRS is going to be part of a private transaction of gold purchases.

Like land, metals are long term IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Beans are cheaper. Let’s say a guy bought a good treated/inoculated e3 bean…. Call it $55 per acre (ballpark).
I’ll be very loose with lime, sulfur, micros & P&K …. Call it: $150 (could be a lot more or a bit less depending on soil tests).
2 sprays with pre’s: $70
Plant, harvest, trucking & insurance: $100
Im off on above +/- but it’s in the ballpark.
Total inputs: $375
60 x 15 = $900. NET = $525. Which is good $. Drought, flood or grain prices can make a good looking projection look like crap pretty quick too. & a lot of times if we say “60 average” - there’s for sure some years in there where it’s more 40 or 50. Or clearly could be higher too. TODAY, if weather & prices stay favorable - looks pretty nice. Wrenches being thrown into the mix seems to also be the norm though too.
So beans are quite a bit less in overall net profit though than when the same field is in corn?? Makes the return, whether cash buyer or 30% down buyer, quite a bit less overall if I’m reading you right

Rec land prices have been increasing a crazy percentage over this short amount of time for sure!! But, if you make good money, or saved up over time... buy your farm. You only live once and you might as well do what you love. If you can afford a piece then I would absolutely recommended buying it if it's what you want! If you love hunting and have a passion for it then do it!

"But what will it be worth it 20 years".. Yeah I get it.. but land will and will always be a solid investment. If you can spend money on something you're passionate about then there is no wrong! Pass the land down to your kids! Life is too damn short to not enjoy livin!

If you're buying land or have land, that means you probably worked your ass off to enjoy it! The "must be nice" guys and can keep peeing in the wind.

I've noticed in life the people who are successful (in their own passion whatever that may be) work their asses off in the career they have and are very successful in their business/trade.

^^^^^. Agree. There’s folks I know who “want land” that have been waiting & “ready to go” for “15 years”. Kinda like- “ahhhh, doubt this is gonna happen”.
Don’t be THAT GUY…. If it’s right for u…. Don’t wait 3 or 5 or 15 years…. Wait 1 or 2 if u believe: market will favor u OR u will be in a better spot financially. Even if a guy paid a bit too much now but is ok doing it…. 10 years from now it will be nothing. & be up in equity.

2 comments one post…. Soybeans are a bit less on income MAYBE. In this scenario yes. But, on other hand- soybeans don’t fluctuate on yields near to the degree corn does. On a severe drought for example, beans are gonna be safer. & let’s be real,…. Droughts & crazy weather are pretty common.

Yes- my prices are off for sure. I actually just looked at where I sell some grain. I haven’t looked for maybe a month. This is just now. It’s lower for sure. New crop.

BEC2E89F-ED4E-400C-8F97-E1CD71965D96.jpeg

If you can spend money on something you're passionate about then there is no wrong! Pass the land down to your kids! Life is too damn short to not enjoy livin!
I’d love a discussion on how to transfer land without facing huge inheritance taxes. LLC? Establish one on an existing holding? Guess I’m too cheap to hire an attorney, yet.

I’d love a discussion on how to transfer land without facing huge inheritance taxes. LLC? Establish one on an existing holding? Guess I’m too cheap to hire an attorney, yet.

On the Federal side right now you would have to have a large land estate value to worry about inheritance tax. Heirs get step up in basis upon your death which is not taxed RIGHT NOW……And as long as your estate is under SEVERAL million dollars. I’d have to look at that number again.

On the Federal side right now you would have to have a large land estate value to worry about inheritance tax. Heirs get step up in basis upon your death which is not taxed RIGHT NOW……And as long as your estate is under SEVERAL million dollars. I’d have to look at that number again.
We have been working on setting up a trust the last couple of years. That exemption number is reasonably high now due to the Trump tax cuts. However, if I remember correctly, those tax cuts sunset or end in ten years after Trump signed that bill. Then they would have to be made permanent or the exemption number would go back to the number prior to the bill, which I believe was 5.5 million per spouse. I talk to our attorney almost weekly, so I will get the current exemption number. The Democrats have several proposals to drop the stepped up basis which would be devastating. Doubtful with the republicans having a majority in the House that will happen for a couple more years. All the more reason to get out and support Trump!!!

YES^^^^^^!!!!!!
It’s getting lower. & someone says “well the new exemption is still $6.5m” or whatever it is. And what do most liberals say “boo hoo- poor rich people. You’re millionaires & complaining about paying your fair share at $6.5m!” But…. What does it really mean????….

1) a guy who worked 40 years to build a farm that the market has appreciated in value. What is by definition- a FAMILY FARM…. Let’s say this guy has 1,500 acres he built over his WHOLE LIFE!!!!! Used after tax dollars to pay it off over decades & decades. Let’s say it’s now worth $20,000 per acre. Whole life- finally paid for. He dies…. What happens???? Can the kids get this farm to keep as a FAMILY FARM? NO!!!!! Most the time the government (with the amount that’s hitting in 2025 or 2026) is gonna effectively say to the kids “sell your family farm so u can pay us millions in tax liabilities”. & that’s what happens. The kids have to sell some, in some cases, all the land- to pay to the government. That’s insanity!!!!!!! ***worth noting… at the same time- companies like google, FB, Amazon, etc pay 0. Either way- it’s crazy.

2) ok- so the liberal wing gets their way. They get those privileded rich people to pay “their fair share”. Being taxed on family farms they bought with after tax dollars…. What happens next???? THE LAND IS SEGMENTED UP. OR IT’S DEVELOPED. OR - A WEALTHY “CORPORATE FARM” BUYS IT!!! By definition- this is against what the liberals claim they are for!!!!!! They usually hate corporate farmers. Rightfully so, they hate segmentation as it’s detrimental to environment for host of reasons. & last- they hate destruction of land for development as that also ruins the environment FOREVR. Which I agree with them on!!!!! But THEIR POLICIES CAUSE THIS VERY THING TO HAPPEN!!!!! This folks is politics and government 101. A broken system 101. Can u see how flawed this is?!?!?!?

You can gift an early inheritance if you're concerned future appreciation of your assets will put you over the inheritance limits (whatever they are at the time of your passing), where the overage amounts would then be taxable. My understanding is that this includes cash. Seek advice from an estate attorney. Early gifting avoids probate as well.

Can't you add your child's name to the title? Wouldn't that avoid inheritance tax?
No. There’s a “lifetime exemption $ amount”. U can only gift up to that limit. By definition, if a family farm was worth “$50m & 3 kids”….. u r selling that family farm to pay the taxes. & we talking many many millions being paid to government.

Yes, there’s many ways to HELP with reducing tax liability & the only way to do that is get with a very good trust attorney.
I’m setting my land up in a trust right now…. More for reasons like “I don’t want to ruin my kids” ;). Or “I want this done with land and not that”. But of course I want to make sure we protect every bit we can from insane tax liabilities.

I had an aunt that turned down $7000 an acre near Oswego IL back in the early 90’s. She wanted $8000. I thought she was nuts! Then in about 2006 she had turned down 75,000 an acre and was holding out for 87,000. This was on a 1000 acre track. All in one piece. She has passed and her boy is still farming it as far as I know.
Who knows what the future holds. I think sometime there will be a massive crash.

No. There’s a “lifetime exemption $ amount”. U can only gift up to that limit. By definition, if a family farm was worth “$50m & 3 kids”….. u r selling that family farm to pay the taxes. & we talking many many millions being paid to government.

Yes, there’s many ways to HELP with reducing tax liability & the only way to do that is get with a very good trust attorney.
I’m setting my land up in a trust right now…. More for reasons like “I don’t want to ruin my kids” ;). Or “I want this done with land and not that”. But of course I want to make sure we protect every bit we can from insane tax liabilities.
I'm also considering a revocable trust. This would avoid probate for everything put into the trust, which I believe is a good reason in itself to do this. It doesn't avoid taxes but does avoid the cost of probate and disbursement costs of the estate which can be costly. How many of you have or are considering a revocable trust ? Curious as to how widespread the practice is with landowners. What kind of cost should I expect?

I'm also considering a revocable trust. This would avoid probate for everything put into the trust, which I believe is a good reason in itself to do this. It doesn't avoid taxes but does avoid the cost of probate and disbursement costs of the estate which can be costly. How many of you have or are considering a revocable trust? Curious as to how widespread the practice is with landowners. What kind of cost should I expect?
I've been thinking hard about that myself. I worry that if, heaven forbid, I would end up in a cursed nursing home for an extended period of time Medicaid and the State would take a very large chunk leaving little for my children and grandchildren & not a bright future for now.

I also have been an Executor 3 times and it's a pain. My sister and brother-in-law passed away over the past 3 years. No children, no will, no life insurance, very little money and a house of hoarders that took me months to clean about 3/4's of it out. All my work and effort for no reward.

As far as costs I would guess 2 to 3k?

$2-5k is pretty doable. Unless it gets really complex …. I’m gonna take a wild stab at $7-10k where there’s way more to it.
When talking about hundreds of thousands or millions in tax liability or massive cost of probate- this is peanuts.

Top Bottom