Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassica mix

ironwood

These are a few shots of the brassica mix I planted in the last few days of July. The photos where taken 8-20. Seven days earlier these plots still looked brown from a distance. As you can see they have really come on in the past week. These where planted after a complete failure with soy beans on the same spots. The dry conditions and late planting of the beans prove fatal to them and very few remain. I planted just 3.4lbs of seed per acre and have done no soil prep on ground that has been in a CPR program for over ten years. I do plan on applying a nitrogen folor dbltree was trying out.
5478-20-06Allen_095resized.jpg

5478-20-06Allen_094resized.jpg

5478-20-06Allen_092resized.jpg

5478-20-06Allen_088resized.jpg

I was hoping for it to be a good harvest location as well. I think I will be late season Muzzle loading this year.

It's looking good! Did you drill that with a conventional drill or a no-till drill? Either way it's drilled into what's left of the soybeans and the old sod with no tillage right?

Just a note on the soybeans...(I may have already mentioned this but...) on sod where beans have not been planted the seed should be inoculated before planting. That ground may also need lime and lacking both could have been a double whammy.
Brassicas aren't so fussy but they do like a shot of nitrogen!
waytogo.gif

Gee...sure hope I remember which container has the fertilizer...and which one the leftover Roundup...
evil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's looking good! Did you drill that with a conventional drill or a no-till drill? Either way it's drilled into what's left of the soybeans and the old sod with no tillage right?

Gee...sure hope I remember which container has the fertilizer...and which one the leftover Roundup...
evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct on the no-till and evil on the roundup. That would make a grown man cry. Much bigger deal than nuking your yard.

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping for it to be a good harvest location as well. I think I will be late season Muzzle loading this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree!
grin.gif

The Whitetail Institute has a new product call Winter Greens I have had my eye on, but we have had no rain for 1 1/2 months
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

evil on the roundup. That would make a grown man cry. Much bigger deal than nuking your yard.

[/ QUOTE ]

J/T of course..it's still in original unopened container. Those brassicas will probally take off like their shot out of a rocket when you hit em with this stuff!
grin.gif

I am not sure if you can tell but these photos are of 4 different plots totaling 9 acres. I am either going to 1)meet up with dbltree this week to get a 2.5 gallon jug of CoRon, a liquid nitrogen folor, or 2)determine a easier faster and less expense way to fertilize with out burning or 3) do nothing and see how they grow. To do #1 I am looking at a long drive to hook up with dbltree and the application rate would be low with only 2.5 gallons over 9 acres. I would hate to burn or stress what is already there with an inappropriate application.

I was typing this last reply as you responded dbltree. I would like to use the CoRon but could I still apply a granular ahead of a rain with a good result and more economically?

Mr wood, No time this morning to look this up but I was thinking CoRon was slow release which would minimize the chance of burning.

That is partly right I believe it has to do with a molecular reaction more than the release. Paul had a link here at one point and that is why I am interested and likely going that route. But I just wanted to explore options to see if I could make life simpler and maybe cheaper. Traveling half way to the IC area to get the CoRon adds plenty of expense for me even though I would get the added benefit of meeting the dbltree in person.
grin.gif

Here's a link to the foliar fertilizer post and there is also info posted there about urea.

Fertilizer options

You can use urea Mike and it would be the cheapest form of nitrogen. You may be able to buy it in bags or get a fertilizer cart and a 1/2 ton of 46% urea witch would give you about 50# per acre of actual nitrogen per acre.

The catch is that you do need to apply it within 24 hrs of a good rain. You need close to a 1/2" of rain to keep denitrifcation losses to a minimum.

It may burn some of the brassicas where the pellets land in the fold of a leaf but it's not likely to cause severe damage.

For me, fighting with the timing factor of getting the urea, just ahead of a rain, when I'm off of work...can be a real hassle. When tilling it in, it's no big deal, but surface applied it is.

The Coron is something new for me as well and it is pricey. I just like the idea of being able to spray it on when ever I have time, no worries about the weather and knowing that every drop that hits the leaves is going to do some good.

The things we go thru for a doggone foodplot and hopefully a big ole buck!
grin.gif

Top Bottom