Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas Seeding

jkratz5

Gentlemen,

I just had a question concerning the seeding of Brassicas. I am a rookie here and think I made a rookie mistake.

I purchased a handful of different turnips (purple top, pasaja, appin) and also some dwarf essex rape seed and planted back in August. We wanted to see what grew best in this particular location so we planted strips of each that were approximately 5yds wide by 20 yds long (900 sq.ft)

So the mistake I think I made is overseeding. We overseeded as compared to the recommended seeding by welter because we thought that this particular area would not be ideal for brassicas. Well it appears we were wrong, everything germenated and now we have a lush plot that is only 3-4" tall and spaced very close together (some stuff has reached 8", but the majority is small with small leaves on each plant). My question is will this all I get out of the plot this year. I am assuming the overseeding is going to stunt the growth of the brassicas and I will likely not see any large plants. Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated as again I am a rookie.

Kratz

Sounds like your seeding rate was too high. My experience with the Purple Top Turnips is that less is more. I think the recommended seeding rate for nothing but turnips is 4-5 lbs per acre. I generally seed at about 3 lbs. Preparation of the soil is important. Try to work up a good seed bed and since they only need to have good contact with the soil to germinate I culti pack them. PH of the soil is important and they like nitrogen. Also, a good rotation is key. I probably wouldn't plant the turnips in the same plot more than two years consecutively. I did and the 3rd year I got some kind of fungus that killed them off after they came up. Now I'll try to throw in a year of winter wheat, buck forage oats and rye, ....... (I don't think you can overseed these and they like nitrogen also) into the rotation and/or sbeans/corn. This is what I've found to work well for me.

Jarin,

Not really much you can do this year with them.

When they are to close they usually do not get very big. Alot of little
ones but when they have some space they will really grow.
I usually notice that when they are close together that the leaves
seem to yellow more and not have that deep green.

I have made the mistake quite a few times because I am used to more is better.

Fellas thanks for the input. Hopefully, we still get a little action on the plot with the short stuff :)

Clover came in tremendous in this area and we ended up with probably 1acre worth of seed on 1/2 acre for the turnips. Definitely very limited space between each plant. Live and learn I guess. So, my next question, will they even produce turnips and if so I am assuming very small.

Thanks
Jarin

So, my next question, will they even produce turnips and if so I am assuming very small.

Thanks
Jarin

Jarin,

You are spot on. Depending on the distance between the turnips it will dictate the size of the turnips. Should produce something for the deer to grub on.

Good luck.

Jarin,

You are spot on. Depending on the distance between the turnips it will dictate the size of the turnips. Should produce something for the deer to grub on.

Good luck.

Thanks again buddy. Hope all is going well for you back in IA.

Kratz

After reading this I think I may have made the same mistake.....I thought they just didnt grow good. I'll take a pic and post it up in the next day or so

Top Bottom