Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bratwurst and other deer recipes

streitl

I was wondering if anyone had a good venison bratwurst recipe they wouldn't mind sharing. I have three deer in my freezer right now waiting to be ground up. I am going to make mostly burger, but wanted to try out some bratwurst and maybe sausage too. If you guys have any concoctions that you mix up, I would love to read them.

My neighbor and I make about 75-100 pounds of brats each year. We buy the spices from Todd's on the east side of Des Moines. We go 50/50 on deer and pork. Any less than that, and they tend to be kind of dry. For pork, we buy the Boston Butt when HyVee or Sam's has them for .99 a pound. We add in some ground up dried peppers for a little kick, and have started adding in shredded cheese. Even my wife likes 'em. Plus, we package some up as brat burger, because my son likes them better that way. We vacuum seal the brats 4 to a pack - and each year, we usually give quite a few to friends and neighbors. Good luck with em !

Italian mix you can get in the store, onion, a few bullion cubes paparika, garlic, salt, fresh cracked pepper, cumin, red salt, chilli powder.....HOT dried peps if you like it warm....... REAL HOG CASING. done deal it's great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to Todd's last year its great... we doid about 800lbs. this January..we made tons of great stuff</div></div>

800lbs!!??

we go to fareway's meat counter and buy a bag of what they use. they can sell you the natural brat casings as well......wash the HELL out of them, as they are packed in salt mixture.
brats, breakfast sausage, itallian sausage. any grocer that makes their own should be able to help you out. for pork, we usually buy a hog off a local farmer, and butcher him at the same time. nothing beats fresh pork

Me and about 6 guys put together our nanny meat and have what we call GRIND DAY.... pretty interesting, lots of beer and homemade wine. start time is 7a.m. January 11 we get done around 9 or 10 that evening

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we go to fareway's meat counter and buy a bag of what they use. they can sell you the natural brat casings as well......wash the HELL out of them, as they are packed in salt mixture.
brats, breakfast sausage, itallian sausage. any grocer that makes their own should be able to help you out. for pork, we usually buy a hog off a local farmer, and butcher him at the same time. nothing beats fresh pork </div></div>

we do about the same thing, 50/50 mix DEER/PORK or so, sometimes the last batch is different if we run low on one or the other, the seasoning dries the MIX out so we add BUSCH LIGHT and do it all on MIX/GRIND DAY....most area lockers will hook you up with seasoning, at least that is what we generally do.

I've made brats in the past, but they always came out too dry, taste good, but not juicy like a real Fareway brat. I make fresh breakfast and italian bulk sausage though, 50/50 with Boston butt pork roast. I get the spices from a place in Idaho, Eldons Sausage Supplies. We use the sausage in and on everything. Last year I made some summer sausage (50/50 with bottom round beef roast)that came out excellent, the best summer sausage I've ever tasted. Eldons web site has the instructions for make the summer sausage. I'll be making more of that with my yet to be harvested late muzzy deer.

Good luck... anyone that has the gumption to carve up a deer should make some fresh sausage or summer sausage, it's not all that hard to do and the results are well worth it.

-Bugs

Top Bottom