Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcasting brassicas

We have a chance of rain for tonight, but then the forecast looks dry and hot again for the next week. How late is too late to plant brassicas?
I have planted brassicas in mid-September more than a couple of times with decent success. But, if you end up getting them in that late, you don't have enough time for giant bulbs to grow. But...you can end up with some below ground "fruit", it will just be smaller. Related to turnips...think golf ball sized bulbs, not softball sized. Related to radishes...think 4"ish tubes, not 10"-12".

I also will switch my mix to be heavier on radishes and lighter on turnips if I am "late"...so you can still end up with a good amount of above ground forage if they go in late, or don't get any rain on them for weeks, you will just get less below ground mass, but still well worth it IMO.

Opinions vary on the target planting date for brassicas, but I have kind of ended up as a "Aug. 10'ish" guy myself. (Exception being rutabagas, a brassica family that has a much longer growing window, those need to go in late June June to early July IMO.) I personally would not consider anything prior to Aug. 15th as "late" on the regular brassica.

Having said all that...rain, rain, rain is the key. A "late" planted field with sufficient rain will make a "bad" plotter look great. :) An "early" planted field with no rain will make a "good" plotter look bad. :)

I have planted brassicas in mid-September more than a couple of times with decent success. But, if you end up getting them in that late, you don't have enough time for giant bulbs to grow. But...you can end up with some below ground "fruit", it will just be smaller. Related to turnips...think golf ball sized bulbs, not softball sized. Related to radishes...think 4"ish tubes, not 10"-12".

I also will switch my mix to be heavier on radishes and lighter on turnips if I am "late"...so you can still end up with a good amount of above ground forage if they go in late, or don't get any rain on them for weeks, you will just get less below ground mass, but still well worth it IMO.

Opinions vary on the target planting date for brassicas, but I have kind of ended up as a "Aug. 10'ish" guy myself. (Exception being rutabagas, a brassica family that has a much longer growing window, those need to go in late June June to early July IMO.) I personally would not consider anything prior to Aug. 15th as "late" on the regular brassica.

Having said all that...rain, rain, rain is the key. A "late" planted field with sufficient rain will make a "bad" plotter look great. :) An "early" planted field with no rain will make a "good" plotter look bad. :)

I am in the same boat. Severe drought here all year. I have one field prepped for brassicas but am just going to wait this out until the last minute if I have to for seeding. I've decided to roll the dice as late as possible here.

Dry here as well but I went ahead and seeded couple turnip plots this weekend hoping for once the forcast is actually right and we get some rain mid week. Fingers crossed.

If one is overseeding brassicas into soybeans and one used pre emergent (prowlh2o), how soon can one plant after that? I don't see brassicas listed on label and on the label it says if not listed 12 months or more.

Anybody have experience with planting brassicas 3 months after using prowl h2o?

All great advice Dave!! :D

Just thought I'd update how this turned out, FANTASTIC! I broadcasted 8lbs of Welters Big Buck Brassica Blend around Aug 1st on just over 1 acre. It was pure dust at that time but I lucked out and got 4" of rain over about a week starting around the 6th or so. I never did put any fertilizer on it because I couldn't find any AMS locally (wrong time of year for them to stock it, I was told) and once the rain dried up it was 3+ weeks before we had any rain to work urea in.
This plot was heavily ferilized for beans so even without the nitrogen they did way better than I would have guessed. They are 18-24" tall, the turnip bulbs are 2-4", and the radishes are 2" or so. We finally got 7/10" rain a week ago and another inch tonight so it will only get better.
You can't even tell the browsed off beans are under there and the seed only cost about $25. Definitely going to utilize this more in the future.

20230913_170600.jpg
20230913_170622.jpg

Your Lucky...here I got one inch of rain over a 3 day period after broadcasting brassicas Aug 10 & haven't gotten any measurable precipitation to speak of since. 2 acre plot had about 1/4 stand similar to yours, another 1/4 acre thin stand about 2-3 inches tall....the rest is 75 percent bare dirt & what is there is short and yellow.

Tried overseeding with rye & radish a couple weeks ago but nothing can grow on hard dry dirt & only moisture is morning dew with nothing more than a spotty light sprinkle for rain.

We haven't gotten any more than 3 inches of rain since Mid May.....not even sure over seeded rye & tillage radish is even viable anymore...

Your Lucky...here I got one inch of rain over a 3 day period after broadcasting brassicas Aug 10 & haven't gotten any measurable precipitation to speak of since. 2 acre plot had about 1/4 stand similar to yours, another 1/4 acre thin stand about 2-3 inches tall....the rest is 75 percent bare dirt & what is there is short and yellow.

Tried overseeding with rye & radish a couple weeks ago but nothing can grow on hard dry dirt & only moisture is morning dew with nothing more than a spotty light sprinkle for rain.

We haven't gotten any more than 3 inches of rain since Mid May.....not even sure over seeded rye & tillage radish is even viable anymore...
Rye is a go. Will be fine. Radish will be small. I saw some freshly emerged radish this week. 30 days of growing season if I made a wild guess…. Pry not a lot but still could be browse for deer. Rye on other hand will be just fine.

Top Bottom