Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead advice

F

firedog

I need some advice from any of you guys who have shot the Slick Trick broadheads. I don't want to hear about Muzzy, Thunderheads, or Wasps or any others. I know they are quality broadheads with worthy reputations, but I've been hearing some pretty good things about the Slick Tricks from other archery forums. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
waytogo.gif

Firedog,I've read alot about the Slick Tricks over the last year,I believe it was on a site called broadheadtests.com,not sure though.But they claimed the accuracy was real good,but one guy claimed he got alot of hits on deer that deflected due to the steep angle of the blades.This was one guys claim and had actual pictures of the deer to back it up,it was pretty interesting.I could honestly see where these broadheads would have a tendency to deflect on steep shots due to the blade configuration.They were designed to be compact,but with a decent cutting diameter for better flight.Being their so stubby they really angled the blades more straight out then back,to achieve a good cutting diameter,which seems to create more deflections,compared to a conventional type head.If I come across the site I'm referring to I'll let you know.

I bought some of these last year. The only animal I had occasion to shoot at with one was a doe. Perfect angle at about 18 yards. The hit looked perfect, but penetration really poor. In fact, first deer I've shot in many years that wasn't a pass through. Long story short, we didn't find her. I can't say I'm blaming the broadhead, but I will say I'm not going to be shooting them again this year. Good luck!

NWBuck

Thanks guys for the quality responses. PAHUNTER - that's interesting info. Let me know if you get that website info. I can see what you are getting at about the angle of the blades.
NWBuck - what poundage are you shooting and what's the approx. speed/weight of you arrows. That does seem kinda odd about not good penetration. Thanks again for the info - I will definitely have a hard decision in the next week or two. If all else fails, back to my trusty Thunderheads!

Top Bottom