Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead Practice Question?

Coach

I just bought a target to do some broadhead practice. Now, I feel pretty stupid because I've been hunting a long time, but I was suprised at my results. I shot a few rounds with field tips and as usual they grouped tight and on the dot. I put on my MUZZY 3 blade 100 grains and all of my shots are 4" to the left and about 2" low from 20 yards. I even tried another brand of a compact dart style head and it hit in the same left-low spot. This really had me frustrated and I didn't know what I was going to do. A friend called me back and said that he phoned a buddy that does equiptment testing and the guy knew exactly where my shots were going without even asking! He said it was normal and to adjust my sights for the broadhead flight?

Does this sound right to you guys? Should I adjust my sights tomorrow or should I take the bow into the shop and do some testing? I have a Trophy Taker in-line sight and if I do adjust, should I just move the whole sight and will it adjust for my 20,30 & 40 pin?

I'm at the end of my tow rope. I plan on thinning my doe heard Saturday morning and need to get this fixed fast.

Help a brother out will ya?

A generously sized 3 or 4 blade expandable will do the trick!
grin.gif

Thanks Central,
I have a hard time believing in expandables. I use to shoot Rocky Mountain Evolutions, and killed every deer I shot with them. I never got a pass through or much of a blood trail with them though. So I went with the opinion of many guys on this site and picked up some Muzzys. I've shot 4 deer with them, all pass throughs, and no real tracking involved. I'm very confident with Muzzys and I'm not sure what to do.

What expandable would you suggest? I shoot a Hoyt Razortec so it's reasonably fast. I also like it when my buck drops within 15 yards like mine did last year
shocked.gif

I have shot quite a few and all have done the trick. Good quality with at least 1 1/2 cut and at least 3 blades will do it. Use whatever your confident with. I find confidence with a big cutting diameter and hitting where I aim. Heres a group of beleivers.
26LWposter-web.jpg

Its probably not the proper fix, but as long as they group decent at the range you want I would just move the sight. You dont have time for much more at this point anyway. Its annoying but I dont really care where broadheads group as long as they do group. Thats why sights are adjustable. I have often had this same problem in the past.

Currently my Outback is out of specs (ATA, brace height, etc), due to string stretch I'm sure. But, for some goofy reason it shoots great with Muzzy's and Rocky Mountain Ti's. Just a lucky accident on my part I guess. Puts one of each in the bull at 40 yards so I aint gonna worry about specs!

No expert here, but I have had a little experience dealing with the broadhead issue. Sounds to me like you just need a little tuning to get them to group with your field points. Assuming you are a right handed shooter, if your broadheads are hitting to the left, you are getting a stiff spine reaction when shooting them. You can try any of several fixes, one at a time and a little at a time usually works best.
1. Increase your bow poundage
2. Increase your broadhead weight
3. Move your arrow rest toward the bow

To adjust for your low hits, you need to move your nocking point down.

Make only one adjustment at a time. If you are a lefty, adjustments are just the opposite for your horizontal difference. Nock point adjustment is still the same.

Your local pro shop should be able to straighten you out fairly quick. Usually small adjustments will take care of the problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to either get bow tuned, or if that's not the problem get some expandables.

I agree with TimberPig. If they are grouping OK, just adjust your sights for the broadheads. If you want to fight it, the solution is to move your rest a small amount in the opposite direction of where your broadheads are hitting compared to the field points. If they hit lower than the field point, move the rest up. If they hit left, move it a small bit to the right. Then go shoot both to see where they group. Once grouping in the same spot, then adjust your sight so that spot is the middle of the bull. If it were me, I would just adjust the sight. If they weren't grouping, then I would buy expandables.

This year I'm using some Wasp Boss three blade heads that are very similiar to your Muzzy's. I shoot a-lot throughout the spring and summer and feel that my bow is very well in tune, however, when I sighted in my broadheads this year I was consistently shooting one to two inches right of my target depending on the yardage. I didn't have any elevation adjustment, just horizontal. I know a-lot of people say that if your bow is tuned properly your fixed blade heads should hit exactly where your field points do, but I have yet to see it. One elementary thing you can check is to make sure your your string, rest center, GRIP CENTER, pins, and arrow tip are all in line perfectly. Sometimes a bow is set up so that the rest is compensating for the sights, or vice versa, which can affect broadhead flight, even if your field points seem to go where you want them to. Hope that all made sense, it's a lot easier to explain in person.
grin.gif

Just curious to see if you have tried paper tuning your setup. If you have and everything looks good than I would simply adjust my sights. I shoot muzzy 100 grains and probably will never switch. I have (not purposely) shot through both shoulder blades of an adult doe and had the arrow in the ground on the other side. I also shot through a grouse in Colorado and smacked a granite boulder and bent the ferrule and a blade, but it stayed intact. Good enough for me. I just keep some extra dull blades on hand to practice with. I don't change back to field points until the spring. I also usually have to adjust my sights. I just dont worry about if they group tight and fly straight.

All good advice here. You might try these as well. 2" Blazer vanes are suppose to really help fixed blade flight.
547blazer_001-med.jpg

You're way too technical Ironwood. Hell, I was using Cedar shafts last year
grin.gif
, just kidding. I bet those pretty white vains would look great stained red with a pass through shot. I'll call ya. Let's get that camera rolling.

I am a expert

and like the man said

[ QUOTE ]
He said it was normal and to adjust my sights for the broadhead flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I use expandables now. sight in, screw them in and go hunting. I use to beat my head trying to group field points and fixed blade broadhead, not no more.......

Hey Coach,

Try some Montecs by G5 Outdoors if you are uneasy about expandables. I love my Muzzy's for their scary sharpness but it seemed like each one had their own mind! I shot some Montec pre-season heads and they flew like my field points. No adjusting whatsoever. Two does down so far and they have done their job! My 2 cents...Tomo

I say I use to beat my head, well,,,I did and in doing so I would always use Easton's tuning book, It may have the answer to your problems, It well have the answer and all the experts of archery use this or don't know what there talking about...I have seat down with Bob Ragsdale who helped in reading this tech book on arrows and if you have the proper spine, you can tune a bare shaft to hit in the same hole with field or broad heads.

Coach, if you want, you can write your total set-up down and PM me. I will run it through my programs and see if we can get that arrow alittle higher and to the right. It could be all you need is to shorten your arrow a inche or put 4in spin vanes on.........

Click in to tuning

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.eastonarchery.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Tomo, I switched to the Montech G5 broadheads, 100 grain, and matching practice heads this year. The practice heads made a world of difference with my confidence and set up. The arrow flight is nearly identical and the groups I am shooting are awesome!

Top Bottom