Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead Question 2

BowHunter84

Currently, im shooting cabelas carbon arrows. I use them for bothing hunting and practice. IM using Retractable Rocky mountain Snyders 100 grain. I cant really practice with them on my target because i would be replacing the rubber band all the time. I was wondering if you think that i could change to Muzzy's withough throughing my accuracy off. Does anyone have any comments on weather or not retractable broadheads are better that stationary blades? im looking for opinions. I really wanted to switch to the 100 grain muzzy's please let me know

i prefer fixed broadheads because when the d eer is hit and the arrow doesn't pass through the broad head will cut him or her up in side helping to finish the job where as iv'e seen open on impact arrows go in and when pulled out the broadhead closes doing no more damage

i'm a huge fan of muzzy broadheads, been shootin' them for 14 years, give or take. i like a good fized blade mainly cuz i'm set in my ways. you shouldn't have any problems shooting them with carbons. i've been using goldtip arrows and muzzy's and have no problems at all. if you did have any problems it may be your bow is out of tune.

Ok, having said that, I'm leaning to the muzzy's now what is best 3 blade or 4 blade? they say the 3 is better but was hoping you could back me up on this one. And i think that i should get 100 grain. Please let me know what you people think of this and which one would be better for me

Thanks

just make sure you're shooting the same grain broadhead as your field point. i shoot 115 grain 4 blades but will probably change to 100 grainers within the year or so. 3 or 4 blade makes no difference really, other than the 3 blade will have a bigger cutting diameter on the 100 grain variety. either way you go you'll have a great broadhead.

Bowhunter,
Do yourself a favor, actually, do the animals you hunt a favor. Throw those expandables in the trash! Sooner or later, your going to wound an animal because of you are shooting those. Use a good solid broadhead that wont break apart on a marginal hit. Almost anything will kill a deer when you double lung it. Its the marginal hits you have to think about. Muzzy's and Thunderheads would be a great start in that direction. Go to www.american-hunter.com. A guy in there has a good review of broadheads.

It is really hard to tell some one what to use. For me my 100 grain 3 bladed Muzzys work great. I can't say they will be great for you, you will have to make that call for yourself.

A buddy of mine switched to the expandable broadhead and he hasn't had a pass through shot yet. One of the shots he has made with it was a perfect broadside shot right through the ribs and lungs but it still didn't pass through the other side. It made a huge hole on the entry busted a blade off on a rib and got both lungs but didn't make it through the other side. I geuss it really dosen't make a difference since he made a good shot at 20 yards and the deer didn't go but maybe 50 yards. One thing I will say is it is really easy for him to go from a practice tip to the real thing with not haveing to adjust a thing and still be dead on.

I did catch the edge of a shoulder blade once with my muzzy but it still made it far enough in to do the job. I think what helped allot was the fact he was only 10 yards away. What impressed me the most was when I pulled my carbon arrow out the muzzy was all there. One balde was prety much toast but it was all intact.

people with muzzy's

Do you sight your muzzy broadheads in?
And are they good to practice with, if you have the practice blades?

I think i made my mind up. I want to go to the fix blade 100 grain 3 blade muzzy's

Hope i made a wise decision here! I will let you guys know this weekend

each packet of muzzys comes with one practice blade or else you can buy some extra practice blades. most places that sell muzzys have practice or extra tips for them as well. i always shoot with the practice blade at the minimum on each arrow once to see if they'll all fly well.

OO Buck, I have had great luck with expandables. Killed a large bear and a number of deer at various angles and distances. Some of the new expandables are hard to beat.

That said you need to shoot what you are comfortable and have faith in.

I practice with them by taking one and applying fletching cement to the blades. They stay in the retracted position on impact and are easy to pull.

Deano

I use spitfire 100's. This type of broad shoots like my target tips and does not need orings or rubber bands to hold them shut. They also cut an 1 and 1/2 inch hole in the deer, does the job very well.

I have found that a Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade shoots the best of any of the Muzzys. I have several guys coming over needing help with wild broadhead flight, and the Muzzy 4 blade due to the 1 inch cut flies like a dart. A NY and Ohio bucks would agree this year. Didn't draw for the "real deal".

I'm sold on the Muzzy's. I shoot the 3 blade 100 grain, never tried the 4 blade but it could be the hot ticket. I recently read in an article that there are several pay to hunt ranches that have banned expandables on there hunts due to the numbers of lost animals. I hunt with Headgear and like he said, one of our friends uses them and can't seem to get a pass through with them. I considered them at one time but have tossed the idea having seen the lack of performance they give.

i like fixed on deer but i'm trying some rockets for turkeys right now. the whole idea of the extra shock and keeping the arrow in them will do the trick. of course i have to get one close enough first. i spend more time in my turkey blind rattling bucks in so i can see what's in teh area instead of calling turkeys!! hmm, i should take a camera. =)

rackaddict- that scrape that i always peed in last year is as big as ever, i walked past it the other day to check things out and boy am i glad! there are trees rubbed that are as big as my thigh! i can't wait till late muzzlelaoder season! oh yeah, i "freshened" up that scrape too, can't let that buck think he's the big dog in the area!
wink.gif

Rackaddict - If you want I can bottle some up and mail it to ya, I got spare time!
wink.gif
I'll not guarantee freshness after mail delivery though. You know, as you said you think the deer think you're a button buck brings up an interesting point. Perhaps the bucks tear up my scrapes is because they think I'm a doe!!I'm just too damn sensitive.
wink.gif
I'd better watch my back for horny bucks while in the woods now that I've brought that to attention!

The MOO call is still working through the patent office.

You know, I wouldn't doubt that with all the goofy gadgets out there someone will put a moo cow call out there as a "cover up" call. If that happens (and it's a success) I'll shoot myself.

Muddy, I guess you're walking around with "liquid gold" in your bladder. I tried it and got no takers. Maybe I don't have the "right stuff' to make a scrape. They probably think I'm a button buck! (Sadly enough, they aren't far off!) Oh, the shame!
rolleyes.gif
Seriously, I did make a "pee" scrape and got into my stand and had a doe with two fawns show up 15 minutes later and sniffed around it and weren't spooked by it. I was surprised to say the least. If I see a bottle of "Muddy's Secret Blend" next to the "Muddy's MOO Call" on the shelf at Wal-Mart next season, I may have to break down and try the stuff!
grin.gif

Im shootin the same setup you are with the cabelas carbons and the snyper heads. Have stuck 2 deer this year 1 a pass thru and the other a steep angling down shot that hit the far shoulder joint (bent the front blade but nothing failed) Have you tried to sight in those fixed blade heads yet??) I think its the bargain arrows but I cant get any fixed head to fly with this setup thats why I went to the snypers and I have been shooting muzzy for years. I will say this for the snyper they make an entrance hole like a hatchet. Both these deer had huge entrance wounds and one went 15 yards the other about 50 so both were down within sight. I like muzzys to this day but I never had them put a deer down like these snypers do. let alone they just wont shoot from this setup. In fairness to muzzy I have had probably 30 deer hits with them and never had the head come apart. I say shoot the head that shoots most accurate from your set up. Oh and message to the bow tuning NAZI My bow is tuned thankyou very much.

DeerBarber,

I started sighting my muzzy's in, they gave a free set of practice blades and i have been using those. So far i like them. They seem to be much less hassel for me. I just never could tune in the snypers because it was a pain to replace the rubber band all the time. And they tear up the quiver REAL bad. I have not shot the actual broadheads though. And when i do i will let you know how accurate they are.
(My arrow flies real straight too.)

Top Bottom