Broken arrows

pastorpotluck

Shot a doe and she jumped up and humped her back like she had been hit with a rifle. I found my arrow broken just below the fletching. The doe came by and there wasn't any blood on her side where I had shot. I got s very close look as she was about ten yards out. There was no blood trail. No blood on the arrow. Couldn't find the broadhead. Searched forever no sign of the doe. Shot another doe. Another broken arrow. She was quartering away at 12 yards. Behind the last rib out the shoulder blade on the other side but the arrow never got completely thru the shoulder blade. The fletching end was still inside her when recovered. The broadhead end (19 inches) was laying on the ground beside her. Couldn't find a reason for it not being a complete pass thru. It just nicked the edge of the shoulder blade. So most of the arrow got thru but not all. Then last night shot at a doe 14 yards and heard a crack like a rifle going off. Found my arrow broken in three pieces laying on the ground. There was no blood and the broad head was clean. it didn't even penetrate the ground. It was just lying there. I"m shooting an old Matthews solo cam (12 years old) set at 62 lbs, 29 inch draw, drop away rest (NAP), and using Easton Excel SST 400 carbon arrows cut at 29 1/4 with 100 grain Muzzy triple blade fixed broadheads. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I never had this problem with the ACCs I used before.:(

Shot a doe and she jumped up and humped her back like she had been hit with a rifle. I found my arrow broken just below the fletching. The doe came by and there wasn't any blood on her side where I had shot. I got s very close look as she was about ten yards out. There was no blood trail. No blood on the arrow. Couldn't find the broadhead. Searched forever no sign of the doe. Shot another doe. Another broken arrow. She was quartering away at 12 yards. Behind the last rib out the shoulder blade on the other side but the arrow never got completely thru the shoulder blade. The fletching end was still inside her when recovered. The broadhead end (19 inches) was laying on the ground beside her. Couldn't find a reason for it not being a complete pass thru. It just nicked the edge of the shoulder blade. So most of the arrow got thru but not all. Then last night shot at a doe 14 yards and heard a crack like a rifle going off. Found my arrow broken in three pieces laying on the ground. There was no blood and the broad head was clean. it didn't even penetrate the ground. It was just lying there. I"m shooting an old Matthews solo cam (12 years old) set at 62 lbs, 29 inch draw, drop away rest (NAP), and using Easton Excel SST 400 carbon arrows cut at 29 1/4 with 100 grain Muzzy triple blade fixed broadheads. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I never had this problem with the ACCs I used before.:(

Sooner or later we all get a Mystery! Your bow has no relivence at all! I have a 1970 ish Bear recurve that will hammer them! As long as I do my part!!!:way:

Very strange that your arrow would be in three pieces from hitting the ground. Have you checked your bow to see if is tuned? Sounds like your arrow has to be flying crazy for that to happen. If you haven't tuned, paper tuning would be my first step to see how your arrows are flying. Never shot easton arrows but thought they are supposed to be good arrows.

While my bow could be out of tune I am shooting good groups at 20 yards. I shoot at different circles on the Block so I don't nick the carbon. I know a nicked arrow can cause an explosion. I was thinking maybe spine, weight etc. and other stuff I don't understand. I shoot a 3d deer and had no problems with these arrows. I had to have hit something for the arrow to break but in the middle? If it were a bullet I'd think tumbling but would I have accuracy at 20 yards with practice broad-heads? I'll do the paper tune and see what's up. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
update

I took some good advice and went to a pro shop in Sioux City. My rest was off center. (Previously moved the rest to get the broadheads to match filed points.) Turns out that my nock point was 1/8 inch high. My arrows were also underspined due to the length being 29 1/2. So now I have properly spined arrows and the problem should be solved. So as many of you folks have said, "It's better to go to a pro shop than to a chain store." I also walked out with a loop and my new arrows have blazer vanes. A lot of change for an old guy set in his ways.;)

I took some good advice and went to a pro shop in Sioux City. My rest was off center. (Previously moved the rest to get the broadheads to match filed points.) Turns out that my nock point was 1/8 inch high. My arrows were also underspined due to the length being 29 1/2. So now I have properly spined arrows and the problem should be solved. So as many of you folks have said, "It's better to go to a pro shop than to a chain store." I also walked out with a loop and my new arrows have blazer vanes. A lot of change for an old guy set in his ways.;)
A person will be more successful if they have total confidence in there equipment no matter what activity you are doing. You made the right move best of luck to you :way:

Im assuming you went to Briar and Bow since its the only pro shop I know of in Sioux City. Ritch is great. I bought my first bow there last year. He answered all my questions, helped me pick a bow and provides me with shooting tips whenever needed. Highly recommended. Top notch service

Sent from my DROIDX using IW

Yes. He helped a lot and explained everything and then made sure I shot it and observed the arrow flight. It's nice to have a true expert handy. I also smoke a pipe and picked up some tobacco. So I get the best of two worlds in the same shop.:D

Yes. He helped a lot and explained everything and then made sure I shot it and observed the arrow flight. It's nice to have a true expert handy. I also smoke a pipe and picked up some tobacco. So I get the best of two worlds in the same shop.:D
That is funny. Nothing like a one stop shop. :way:

Back