Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bruce Braley Signs Pro-Gun Control Letter to Boehner

For the record, my vote is a privilege to the person who earns it.

Just sent him an email stating he's not getting my vote until he changes his stance on gun control.
I have nothing concrete here, just a sneaking suspicion, that Obama was privileged enough to earn your vote both of his terms. Why wouldn't you vote for Braley because he is anti gun but you voted for Obama twice?

Obama's Anti-gun Record

Barack Obama supports handgun registration and licensing...
I know that the NRA believes people should be unimpeded and unregulated on gun ownership. I disagree. I do not object to the lawful use and ownership of firearms, but I do think it is entirely it appropriate for the state to monitor it. Too many of these guns end up in the hands of criminals even though they were originally purchased by people who did not have a felony. I'll continue to be in favor of handgun law registration requirements and licensing requirements for training. [Chicago Defender, 7/5/01]
--- http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/12/
and more...
The package closes the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card loopholes which resulted in the shooting out in Melrose Park. We're eliminating 17 specific assault weapons. There is no reason why anybody should need an assault weapon to protect themselves or their family,' Obama said. 'We're limiting handgun sales to one a month. We're calling for handgun registration. It's very hard right now to track whether or not a felon has turned in his weapons or if he has a FOID card because we don't know how many weapons he has purchased. [Chicago Defender, 2/20/01]
--- http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/12/
Opposes civilian concealed carry
I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
--- Mendell, David, "From Promise to Power" (2007), p. 251.​
I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations.
--- Pittsburg Tribune-Review (April 2, 2008).​
[Obama] backed federal legislation that would ban citizens from carrying weapons, except for law enforcement. He cited Texas as an example of a place where a law allowing people to carry weapons has "malfunctioned" because hundreds of people granted licenses had prior convictions. "National legislation will prevent other states' flawed concealed-weapons laws from threatening the safety of Illinois residents," Obama said.
--- http://www.icadp.org/page236.html (Citing David Mendel, Chicago Tribune, February 20, 2004)
Opposes possession of most semi-automatic rifles
Obama has stated the government needs to permanently reinstate an "assault weapons" ban.
(Obama Calls for Permanent Assault Weapons Ban to Combat Inner-City Violence, Associated Press [via Fox News] [July 15, 2007] andhttp://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html)
(McCain voted against the 1994 crime bill that contained an "assault weapons" ban [see the latter link].)
Voted for a federal ban on most military surplus ammo
Voted in 2005 to classify all Full Metal Jacket ammo in the following calibers as armor-piercing (since they are capable both of being fired from a handgun and of penetrating Kevlar bullet-resistant vests):

• 223 Remington
  • 308 Winchester
  • Soviet 7.62x39
Opposes protecting firearms manufacturers from lawsuits due to the misuse of their products.
In July, 2005 Obama voted against S. 397 that passed by a wide margin (65-31) and became law in October, 2005. This act prohibits "civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others."
Probably supports local handgun bans
The campaign of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said that he "believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional."
--- http://www.sportsmenforobama.org/content/view/34/ (Citing James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins, "Court To Hear Gun Case," Chicago Tribune, 11/20/07).​
(See
http://www.scotuswiki.com/index.php?title=DC_v._Heller
for background on the case of
District of Columbia v. Heller
, before the Supreme Court, that will decide the constitutionality of a civilian handgun ban in Washington, D.C.)
Opposed the nomination of Supreme Court justices John G. Roberts Jr. and Samuel A. Alito Jr.
Recent Supreme Court justices John G. Roberts Jr. and Samuel A. Alito Jr. were instrumental to a favorable Second Amendment ruling in the Heller case mentioned above. Obama voted against the nomination of Roberts and Alito. (McCain voted for the nomination of both justices.) (Roberts' roll call vote, Alito's roll call vote)

I don't view this letter as anti-2nd amendment whatsoever. This letter pushes to eliminate "loopholes in the background check laws, straw purchases, restrictions on law enforcement, and gaps in our mental health system".
There are never sweeping gun law changes. It's all about incrementalism. Their long term intent is clear.

I have nothing concrete here, just a sneaking suspicion, that Obama was privileged enough to earn your vote both of his terms. Why wouldn't you vote for Braley because he is anti gun but you voted for Obama twice?

Different offices, different jobs. There are things that President Obama might want to do but can't because of congress. There are things that Braley could take to Washington saying "I represent Iowa, this is what Iowa wants" that I don't agree with.

Also, there was NO WAY I was going to vote for Romney. That guy does not care about people in the least. Ron Paul on the other hand, I could have supported him.

So iabwhntr...if Braley doesn't change his stance on guns and you won't vote for Ernst, are you sitting that one out?

Are you kidding Obama and his executive orders are killing this country. No more going through congress with him in office

If you wanna bash the Pres, start a different thread. This one is for Braley.

I'd be more than happy to add my 2 cents if you do.

I am not opposed to gun rights, am a proud gun owner, and use them often like everybody else on this website. However, I can live with a few reasonable provisions that are designed to keep guns out of the hands of felons or those mentally unfit... or perhaps prevent a few kids from being killed. I have no problems whatsoever with this letter that Braley and 162 House members signed.

There are more than a few "provisions" designed to keep guns out of the hands of felons & the mentally unfit on the books already. They aren't enforced and therefore do not work. What makes anyone think passing more laws will work better than enforcing the ones we have? :confused::confused::confused:

There are more than a few "provisions" designed to keep guns out of the hands of felons & the mentally unfit on the books already. They aren't enforced and therefore do not work. What makes anyone think passing more laws will work better than enforcing the ones we have? :confused::confused::confused:

You're 100% correct about not enforcing what's already on the books.

It's all delusional, really. The gun control people know deep down that the laws don't work but it makes them feel like they are doing something when a new law is passed. The politicians who spout it knows it will win them points with a certain crowd and can help them get (re)elected.

We could add 50 new laws and make seriously restrictive to even own firearms and the situation would not change.

You're 100% correct about not enforcing what's already on the books. It's all delusional, really. The gun control people know deep down that the laws don't work but it makes them feel like they are doing something when a new law is passed. The politicians who spout it knows it will win them points with a certain crowd and can help them get (re)elected. We could add 50 new laws and make seriously restrictive to even own firearms and the situation would not change.

Bingo! If your that sick and delusional to commit this act, your going to find a way to get your hands on whatever weapon you feel will do the job. Gun control affects the law abiding public, not criminals in nearly all circumstances,

The other problem is the inch and take a foot mentality of both political parties. We all know that simple measures are legitimate, but we also know it won't stop there. It never has and it never will.

This is from Ron Pauls' Farewell to Congress Speech:
First, we recognize that individuals shouldn’t initiate violence; then we give the authority to government. Eventually, the immoral use of government violence, when things go badly, will be used to justify an individual’s “right” to do the same thing. Neither the government nor individuals have the moral right to initiate violence against another, yet we are moving toward the day when both will claim this authority. If this cycle is not reversed, society will break down.

You can read the whole thing here.

Biden to NRA: We ‘don’t have the time’ to prosecute gun buyers who lie on background checks
12:44 AM 01/18/2013

Tweet

Email

Print

Photo of Caroline May
Caroline May
Political Reporter
See All Articles
Email Caroline May
Subscribe to RSS
Follow on Twitter
Bio
During the National Rifle Association’s meeting with Vice President Joe Biden and the White House gun violence task force, the vice president said the Obama administration does not have the time to fully enforce existing gun laws.

Jim Baker, the NRA representative present at the meeting, recalled the vice president’s words during an interview with The Daily Caller: “And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”

Submitting false information on an ATF Form 4473 — required for the necessary background check to obtain a firearm — is a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison, depending on prior convictions and a judge’s discretion, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Baker, the NRA’s director of federal affairs, told TheDC that he was given five minutes to present the NRA’s concerns and the approach the group saw as being the most effective to prevent another massacre like the Newtown, Conn. shooting. During those five minutes, he said, he mentioned the need to prosecute existing gun laws.

He pointed to the low number of prosecutions for information falsification and the relatively low felony prosecution rate for gun crimes.

Biden was apparently unmoved by Baker’s concern.

In 2010, prosecutors considered just 22 cases of information falsification, according to a 2012 report to the Department of Justice by the Regional Justice Information Service. Forty additional background-check cases ended up before prosecutors for reasons related to unlawful gun possession.

In all, prosecutors pursued just 44 of those 62 cases. More than 72,600 applications were denied on the basis of a background check.

“We think it is problematic when the administration takes lightly the prosecutions under existing gun laws and yet does not seem to have a problem promoting a whole host of other gun laws,” Baker told TheDC.

“If we are not going to enforce the laws that are on the books, it not only engenders disrespect for the law but it makes law-abiding gun owners wonder why we are going through this exercise we are going through now,” he added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/18/b...e-who-lie-on-background-checks/#ixzz369PWvLVr

Top Bottom