Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brutal weather coming

Limited food is the HUGE one!!! The timbered areas that haven’t been managed with very little natural browse. Or the grazed cattle areas.
For those that wanna provide a little help: some do, some don’t…. Alfalfa bales. Cutting junk trees down. Etc. Very nutritious.

It will help that it was pretty mild up until January and the deer are well fed and in good shape .

In Minnesota we had lakes open on January 5 . Which has never happened. My friend caught pocket gophers on Dec 28 (absolutely crazy ?)…A762AF5A-27A9-4388-BEAD-326D5F7CA5E9.jpeg

Limited food is the HUGE one!!! The timbered areas that haven’t been managed with very little natural browse. Or the grazed cattle areas.
For those that wanna provide a little help: some do, some don’t…. Alfalfa bales. Cutting junk trees down. Etc. Very nutritious.
We have a variety of food in our immediate neighborhood. One thing I did this year was plant some sorghum in an area we were hearing
quails. We know the deer and turkeys have been hitting it. One thing I like about it is the deer didn't seem to have it at the very
top of their favorite food list. For that reason there's a good bit left now, hopefully can/will be utitlized by the birds. We're planning on planting more sorghum in 2024 in the neighborhood.
I've had a tremendous amount of help form my Iowa Private Lands Biologist when looking for ideas and comments of our farm.

I did alfalfa bales last few years and they mow them down. I had sorghum planted, but the seed heads were gone long ago. Something gobbled them up. Could have been a combo of deer and turkeys.

Top Bottom