Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck forage Oats vs. winter wheat

shrek1

PMA Member
Just wanted some input from others on this. I have had a very good response from the deer on the BFO but it does not come back in the early spring at all like the winter wheat. And I've seen alot of digging through the snow for the winter wheat. Anybody else used these?

We did (or I should say, Raven did) spring for BFO last fall. I do not feel the extra cost is justified, have always had good luck and lots of forage with WW & rye.

I can't say I have tried BFO or winter wheat but we got rye on all our crop ground (because the farmers spread manure on it the rye has to soak some of the manure up), 350+ acres of rye and it is GREEN and growing right now! The deer should be all over it!!

Can't remember who posted the pic of the soybeans with rye in it, but that looks like a great idea for year round feeding. I'll definetly have a place for that this year.

This was the photo I posted but the plot belongs to Raven.
2006_01200006.jpg

Just got back from a drive "around the block". I found it interesting that even though I passed wheat fields already very green, not a single deer was in them. 95% of the deer were in cornstalks and a handful were in grassy/alfalfa stubble. I figured the green fields would be covered up with deer (not that we have that many deer...they are actually quite rare in this area
smirk.gif
)
I have a feeling that given the same choice in Nov./Dec. one would still find them in the corn....

I've driven around the country side lately and noticed the same thing, deer feeding in corn fields. I think that the does are feeling the need to nourish the developing fawns and waste corn provides more punch per pound than wheat/grass/insert green crop here. If I could leave 20+ acres (I tried 3 acres and it didn't see December) of corn stand, that would be what I would do. It provides what deer need, food and cover. If one is worried about a balanced diet, make a mineral lick next to the standing corn.

Iowa's ag base (corn and beans) coupled with the minerals in our soils is what makes us a trophy state in the first place, right?

[ QUOTE ]
I've driven around the country side lately and noticed the same thing, deer feeding in corn fields. I think that the does are feeling the need to nourish the developing fawns and waste corn provides more punch per pound than wheat/grass/insert green crop here. If I could leave 20+ acres (I tried 3 acres and it didn't see December) of corn stand, that would be what I would do. It provides what deer need, food and cover. If one is worried about a balanced diet, make a mineral lick next to the standing corn.

Iowa's ag base (corn and beans) coupled with the minerals in our soils is what makes us a trophy state in the first place, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more..."green stuff" has it's place and I will always have some alfalfa and /or clover and some brassicas for candy. I'm going to interseed rye in standing corn/soybeans simply because it can't hurt...either the soil or the deer, however corn will always be king of food plots on my place
smile.gif

Top Bottom