Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck of a Lifetime - by Jason Peterson

OneCam

It was October 26th, 2002; I had been pheasant hunting all day and decided to leave the rest of the "pheasant crew" behind to climb into my tree stand. It was a typical October day overcast with a perfect northwest breeze. The squirrels were busy shaking nuts out of the nearby hickory tree, but that was about the only action I was getting. After three hours of watching squirrels I was getting quite bored, I remember thinking that the "pheasant crew" was probably sitting at my folk's house watching football and having a few cold ones. I decided to leave a half an hour early and go join the "pheasant crew".
I slowly crawled out of my tree stand not looking forward to the ¾ mile walk back to my vehicle. I proceeded to exit the timber undetected. I got to the edge of the woods, and had to cross the fence into an adjoining alfalfa field. There was a large hole in the woven wire fence that I had always crawled through because I could be much quieter that way than crossing over the fence. I placed my bow on the other side of the fence and started to crawl through the hole. I was almost through and I felt like I was hung up, the pants to my Scent Blocker Leafy suit had hung up on the woven wire. I was trying to work myself free, when I looked up and saw a deer standing only sixty yards away from me in the alfalfa field. I pulled my binos up and saw he was a shooter.
He was working a scrape line on the edge of an alfalfa field. I slowly grabbed my bow and knocked an arrow. I assumed he would scent me because he was down wind of me, but my Scent Blocker Plus must have done the trick. He began working his way along the tree line back to me making three scrapes. Finally he gave me a broadside shot at 25 yards. I was a little shaken because my one leg was still half-way through the fence, and it was getting dark enough that I could hardly see my sight pins. I started counting from 10 backwards trying to get my composure. Finally I let the arrow fly and watched the buck drop right to the ground. The arrow had severed his spinal cord.
I sat there for five minutes before I went over to check my trophy. I was thinking that if I wouldn't have left my tree stand early I might have never seen this buck. Finally the anticipation was killing me I walked over to check out my prize. Sure enough this was the biggest buck I have killed to date. He was a 5 ½ year old ten pointer that gross scored about 145" and weighed 280 pounds. He was also my second bow kill and my first from the ground.

157jp.jpg

Top Bottom