Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck of a Lifetime - The Chris Adams Buck

OneCam

A light west wind blew through out the morning of Nov. 10. The weather man said it was to turn north-northwest by the time I would get off work, perfect. I got to my stand at 3:30. The wind was still out of the west, which is bad for this stand. So I took a chance on the weather man's prediction of it changing to a north wind. After several days of cold fronts, this evening was a warm welcome.
I hunted the same stand the evening before and rattled in a 115 class eight point. I decided to shoot him but he approached too fast and winded a dropped glove. Earl Gustafson, my Martin Dealer in Emmetsburg, told me once, "If you want to shoot a big buck, don't shoot a little one."
So after passing up shots on over ten smaller bucks earlier in the season, I was glad I fowled it up. But I really didn't know how glad I'd be until the next night.
Well the wind never changed to the north and I was kicking myself for not being in another stand. I only saw one small eight point about 80 yards from my stand until a doe and two fawns browsed by with the wind. They disappeared with only fifteen minutes of legal shooting hours left for the day. Nothing happened for about ten minutes. I began to turned my head to check the trail where the doe and fawns came from. Suddenly, a brown spot caught my eye in an opening about sixty yards up the trail. I knew it was a buck. His nose was down and he was coming fast. Then he stopped at about fifty yards up wind. I could barely make him out but knew he was big enough to shoot. I reached in my pocket and tipped over a Primos Easy Estrous bleat call twice. He charged my way. In one fluid motion I dropped the call, pulled my hand from my pocket, gripped my bow, drew and swung to the first opening on the trail. Two seconds later, he was 19 yards, standing broadside, nose down and chest centered right in line with my 20 yard pin. I released smoothly with good follow through. He reeled around a was gone as quickly as he appeared. The shot was automatic thanks to a lot of practice. It happened so quickly that I didn't even see how big the antlers were. That saved me from getting the fever. I wasn't sure where the arrow hit so I let two hours pass and mustered the help of two fellow Benton County Archer's, Kevin Nolan and Scott Hamlin. About three minutes into a strong blood trail, Nolan says, "there he is!"
The buck fever that I didn't have a chance to get earlier overwhelmed me.

chrisadams.jpg

What a magnificent Whitetail!

Editors Note: Chris Adams buck officially scored 175 7/8" typical.

Top Bottom