Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck or Doe Decoy?

roadking

I'm going out Thursday thru Sunday and was planning on using a decoy. Should I use a buck or doe? Any advise would be helpful.

Buck Decoy--100%!!!
This is a territorial threat to any mature buck. Rattleing works especially, almost foolproof, well in this situation. Set the decoy up about 20 yards upwind of you into the wind, quartining away from you. The buck will most likely cicle around and approach from downwind and behind it. Once his leggs turn to jelly and his hair puffs up, you pretty much already have him. Shoot whenever you are ready. You could almost do jumping jacks in the tree. But, be aware of your scent. Carry in some odorless ScentKiller and spray him down when you set him up. Also, some straight buck pee in a scent bomb behind him would add to the effect too. Reply back to this telling me how you did!!!
HunterMan

Last Saturday I had over 5 bucks come into my decoy and I had it set-up as a buck. However, none of the bucks were shooters, but one was border-line. My friend used a decoy also and he had a MONSTER 13 pointer come into his decoy, but needless to say the outcome wasn't what he wanted it to be (long story). I would advise you to use a buck decoy. Those big bucks will come in running! Espescially with how much luck other people have had on this site grunting and rattling bucks in. The set-up that I use is somewhat differen then that of HunterMan, but his may work fine too. I like to put my buck decoy quartering towards me, because in my experience bucks come into buck decoys head to head for a fight. Think about it, bucks do not want to smell the hind end of another buck this time of year, they want to fight! Put your decoy 10-15 yards from your stand, quartering towrads you, and you will have an easy shot at a quartering away buck. I agree with HunterMan 100% on the scent spray. Spray that decoy down with scentless spray, and then put some territorial buck piss on the ground around him. Good Luck, and I hope you kill a big one!!!!!

Not to be argumentative but the only other imput I have is this. Set the decoy upwind (not necessaraly directly) of you somewhere because the buck will circle downwind no matter what.
HunterMan

We'll I have 2- 100% buck replies and 2 personal 100% doe replies. Now I'm confused. I'll let you know what happens.

I would say put a doe or buck decoy out depending on you. If you like to clash the horns together and get aggressive I would use a buck. On the other hand if your'e not much of a blind caller I would use a doe and make her stink with estrous.
In my personal opinion i like to use a buck though because if you have a dominant buck he isn't going to care about that doe decoy because he has more than likely plenty with him. But if you put an intruder there you might kill him. Throw some grunts, snort wheezes, hit the horns. This is the time for blind aggressive calling.
But like I said do what is comfortable for you that suits your situation.
Good luck
TT

I am not expert but I can tell you what I know. I have only used a decoy a few times, I didnt have any luck the last year I bowhunted, which was 2003. The biggest problem for me was that I didnt have the right set up and the wind switched on me both times I used it. I was using a carrylite ($150.00) that my buddy got from CIA. The thing was big, bulky and loud to setup. I think we lost one of the ears the 4th time we used on the walk in. His luck was a little better, he smashed a buck that came in on a string at 20 yards. I think that the setup is the most critical part. I would say 20 yards upwind is probably best(from what I have read).

Fast fwd to this year (2005)
Another friend of mine tried his luck this year with a Renzo buck decoy($27.99 Cabelas). I was a little skeptical about it because the decoy the size of a German shepard with antlers. Yeah, I also need to mention that it is a flat decoy that requires very little setup and is east to carry in. Ok, I was thinking that flat decoys only work for those early season geese and antelope on those Sunday hunting shows. Well he used the decoy 3 0f the 4 times he went out the year and had 4 different buck come right in. He hunted the 2nd-5th November. The 4th buck was a 130 class 10 that is at the taxidermist as I type. A little rattle sequence drew him in close enough to see the decoy and the rest was history. I will say watch your scent (the ghost). As the deer circled downwind the wind switched so my bud had to make a quick quartering shot.

If you are skeptical or dont want to spend a lot try one out. For 27.99 I will add that one to my list of buys when I get back. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom