Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck permits and Doe killing:

loneranger

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen Hunters, I was reading on another Iowa Hunting sight, that the rumor is out that sometime in the future Iowa residents may have to go into a lottery for buck tags. any truth to that? Also have read and heard about the problem with too many deer in Iowa. Everywhere I read, "KILL THE DOES", Kill more, Kill more.Well just thought I'd give you a perspective from N. Mich where I live/hunt. Few yrs ago our DNR decided we had too many Doe. Gave out Doe a day tags to anyone. Button bucks can be shot on antlerless tags too. There was a "Slaughter!" Does, fawns, laying in ditches,10 fawns on deers poles.DNR used TB scare to prompt this action.Only recently, admitted Car Insurance pressures main reason. Now we are lucky to have 3 or 4 deerper mile up here.I know Iowa residents are probably more conscientious,but just a word of caution. Does do carry the future in them. Thanks.

Residents going to a lottery is not in the future here. They have increased doe tags but, it is still a controlled number that the DNR feels comfortable with, to reduce the deer numbers and controll numbers in certain parts of the state. As far as the Mich. DNR using TB as a scare tactic, that is a disease that all hunters up there should be aware of and high deer densities are a very, effective way of spreading this disease.

Thank You for your reply SWIABOONER.But TB has been in this environment of Northern MI for over 100 yrs. I have NewsPaper clips with stories about it in cattle herds fron 60 yrs ago.The local biologists did not issue Doe permits in my area for yrs. When I asked why, they told me from their surveys deer numbers were low. The following yr. we had unlimited permits. When I asked why, they said the orders to kill overode their opinions, cause they came from the TOP BRASS.Our numbers never were "dense". Now they are scarce.I hope your DNR,Authorities are responsible.I donnot trust the numbers givin out here.I also know there are other factors to consider nowdays, when managing wildlife, beyond just the pleasure of hunters.

i have property in the U.P. and know that there are way more deer than that up there and havent heard the "slaughter" and wont happen here.We have deer all over the place as long as they shelter and food they will be there.

hey lone ranger i hear ya, i wish these guys knew what it was luck to sit all season and see the same three deer, and those three deer are so nervous from the wonderful wolves the introduced that even they dont stick around long.
welcome to michigan where the dear and scarce and the frost bite stings.

mike

Thank you for sharing your experiences in the UP LittleJ. I am glad to hear there are lots of deer up there. Say,I know where Ankeny is. I was married there yr. and 1/2 ago.But here where I live,in Norht East Lower Penn,where unlimited doe permits were issued, there are only about 3 or 4 deer per mile. TB is still around, always has been always will be.

There will never be a lottery for deer in the state of Iowa. DNR biologist Wiley Suchey keeps a very close eye on the deer heards in Iowa. He adjusts the number of permits per county to keep the deer herd at acceptable levels. My hats off to him and all his hard work.

Thank you for the encouraging words about the Iowa DNR and Biologists Supertec. I trust what you say is true, and am glad to hear Iowa Authorities are looking well after Iowa Deer. I cannot say the same, for those in charge in my part of Michigan.

Top Bottom