Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bucks Chasing Already

CurtisWalker

Have videos from this weekend of bucks already chasing does hard.. Made me wonder if the rut was going to be a let down for archery this year

They are just getting primed up. Velvet is off, a little cooler out. I am sure they are feeling frisky. We stiill got a good month and a week or two before it is rocking and rolling.

Just got out of the woods pulling cards and found two fresh scrapes on the trail to my treestand. I made a couple new ones while I was there too..

They do this every year. It gets a little cool out and the small bucks start getting horny. A few people see small bucks nudging does and they think its an early rut. Most does won't enter estrus until mid November.

Yea Rut has alot to do basically with length of day setting does into estrous. Right now Iam guessing bucks have hormones from velvet loss raging and they are making scrapes and rubbing ad pry checking does.

I have pics of some small bucks dogging does from my trail cameras. I get them every year. It is normal nothing new

Sent from my iPhone using IW

They do this every year. It gets a little cool out and the small bucks start getting horny. A few people see small bucks nudging does and they think its an early rut. Most does won't enter estrus until mid November.

Not sure I agree with that. A lot of breeding goes on last week oct first week of Nov.

Ruts on hard in Central IA. I would be crashing the horns and sitting all day starting next Monday.

It's all the little bucks. They just can't quite figure out what's going on. I can remember when I was still a youngin'. Girls were driving me nuts years before I ever had a legitimate chance of getting laid.

gundog870 said:
Ruts on hard in Central IA. I would be crashing the horns and sitting all day starting next Monday.

Way to be a smart ass this is only my second season bow hunting so I was trying to get some tips about why they were chasing this early.

The young bucks might be harassing the does, but the mature bucks are lying in the weeds waiting for the does to be ready.

Reminds me of the joke about the old bull and his son standing on the hill overlooking a pasture of cows.

Young bulls says excitedly "hey dad, how about we run down there and f___ one of those cows!
Old Bull calmly says "no son, let's just walk down there and f____ them all."

Had two sophomore boys miss my science class today and then showed up after lunch and said they had rattled in a 10pt this morning and shot it. They showed me a pic and it looked like a 1 1/2 year old.

Way to be a smart ass this is only my second season bow hunting so I was trying to get some tips about why they were chasing this early.

Curtis, You can still call them this early in the season with the horns. Just don't simulate an all out fight over a hot doe. Simulate light sparring that the little bucks are doing this time of year. I shot my first buck the 2nd weekend in October last year (unfortunately didn't find it) and my second buck a week after by doing light rattling in the early mornings. I don't have much success with grunt tubes unless I can see the deer, but the horns always seem to pull a buck in from somewhere.. And, I found the first deer almost 2 weeks after I shot it. Just don't overuse any single call as all you end up doing is educating them. Sometimes the best hunting strategy is just putting your stand in the right tree and sitting nice and quiet waiting for one to stroll by.

Early season, best bet is early morning and late afternoon sits. Save yourself for the all day sits at the end of October and early November.

Good Luck this season..

This happens every year. They lose the velvet and they are starting to get pre-wood. Kind of like you know you might get a kiss your freshman year of high school.

Top Bottom