Bucks located (Now what?)

Buckman23

Well, right now I am debating on how I want to go about hunting some bucks that I have located. On Saturday night, I spotted three bucks all together and passed on the smaller two and the bigger buck did not give me a shot. The smaller bucks are probally in the 130s and the big boy is in the 160s. I spotted them again this morning and they never came close. It seems as if they are still in their summer patterns and I know about where they are bedding. My stand is far enough away from the bedding so I wont scare them, but if they come out of their bedding area I will probally be able to see them. What would you guys do to draw them in? I have a few ideas, but checking to see what some of you would do(if anything)?

I wouldn't try to lure them in, I would simply adjust my stand to where it needs to be. You can't sit somewhere hoping they will come in if they obviously are favoring a different route this time of year. when i hunt a new spot, I usually sit in a spot where I can see how the deer move through the area, then adjust my stand to be in the drivers seat the next day
grin.gif

The only problem is that I do not have many options in stand selections. How the property is set up limits my ability to be near their travel routes besides sitting up in their living room. I am afraid of scaring them off if I get to close. I am not that far away from where they are bedding( 150 yards). I was debating on doing two things: 1.) Dont change anything and dont try to lure them in.
2.) Set up a buck decoy to maybe get some interest. This is a RISK and it could be real good or real bad.
I am leaning towards option 1 and hoping everything falls in place.
confused.gif

If you have them patterned, and are reasonably sure of conditions on one particular day will put them at a certain place at a certain time, then pick your best spot and go for it. Sooner or later, you have to take your chances. I wouldn't worry about spooking them at this point- you still have the rut ahead of you when sex drive will have them totally forget about whats going on.

If you need to scout them from afar for a few days to do some additionally patterning, then by all means do that. But once you are fairly confident in their movement, move in.

I agree with what was said above- move in on them over trying to entice them to come to you.

Agree, You have to move in on them. You have a pattern and you are after a big buck. If I knew a pattern on a buck like that right now a stand would be hung where i could kill them. If you bust them out so what. This is the best chance you will have at this particular buck period. Now is the time to get aggressive and change the strategy a little. Don't use a decoy either. I think that would be a bad idea right now.

Use the spot where you have seen them go past twice and kill em there the third time. If you have to go real early in the morning and sit all day do it. Just make sure to watch the wind. I wouldn't be afraid to go early in the afternoon either and hang a stand and hunt it the same night. Just do minimal cutting (use clippers as much as you can)and make sure you can shoot to where they go by the most.

Now go kill him and we'll see ya in the harvest section!

These bucks are bedding and staying around the same area, but not going on the same trail time after time. The area they are bedding is a woods-thicket about 5 acres in size. Then there is a standing soybean field and I am in a tree along an old horse fence line. I am only about 100 yards away from there bedding area. Would you put a stand up on the edge of their 5 acre bedding area? I am worried about jumping them and since I am already close to them. It would only take them about 60 or so yards of feeding to offer me a shot. I would agree that this is probally my best shot at this buck and need to get agressive.

Stay put. Obviously you aren't going to kill him the first time out in that stand. However, since you can get in and out without spooking them and you know they are close, you will get the chance sooner or later. There is no point to storming into their bedding area yet. Especially since you said they came within 60 yards of your setup. You could try a mock scrape to promote a little curiosity, but don't do anything extreme. Be patient, the season is long. (Just my opinion)

Well, I am headed out. Hopefully, I will get a chance or atleast get a better understanding of what these bucks are doing. Good Luck to everybody thats hunting this evening!

Half the battle is done. You have him figured out before he has you figured out. This early be confident and make your move when conditons are right (wind, thermals, etc.). This is a tough time as food sources change fast with harvest, acorns, etc. take advantage of what you have learned and make a stealthy confident move.

Well, this evening I believe I spotted him again. It was getting dark, but pretty sure it was him. He was with 5 other bucks around 200 yards away. They are starting to determine the strong from the weak. There were testing each others strength with a little fighting.Well, more like playing. They were making scrapes and one would urinate in it and then another one would. It was really interesting. It will be interesting in the morning as I believe they will be in the area. What did you all see this evening?

Don't know the terrain you are hunting, but could you buy a pop-up blind and move in closer if there are no good trees for a stand?

Back