Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bucks on the Decline

tlambert

PMA Member
We've got a couple bucks that are on the decline. Not sure if I want to think about taking a shot if they present it or not.

Sticker 10....5x2....Big 6...his name changes every year.

He was shot high in the back by a neighbor in 2012.

He was shot in the low shoulder blade in 2013.

Funny brow 10
Only have 2 yrs of pics of this guy and not many of them.

I think the age of the deer is more of a trophy than the antlers, personal opinion. No doubt those old warriors would have a place on my wall if given the opportunity to kill them. Sounds like that first deer has been through the ringer. I like his character though.

We have a good crop of mature bucks this year on the farms I hunt and there is one buck I called the perfect 10, because...he was perfect and 4.5 years old. He used our farm but was bedding on the golf course and on the neighbors. The neighbor shot him in the shoulder and never found him. Then I had an encounter with him on Dec. 1st last year and he was limping bad. I picked up his sheds and he had taken out what looked like half of his skull trying to knock his antlers off, so I suspected pedicle damage. This year he is bedding on our farm and as suspected he isn't hardly growing on side...its a messed up looking spike and then the other side is just massive. I've already decided that if I get a chance to take him that I will. He'll be tough as crap to kill and has paid his dues...that's a trophy to me.

It depends on if you are hunting or managing. If you are hunting you simply shoot the biggest deer or what your happy with. Managing takes age into account.

My theory is if you had to ask you are hunting. Nothing wrong with that. At that point age is irrelevant and only rack size matters. Find what you like and whack em!

Rare year for declines with the great conditions. Obviously wounds can have a huge part to do with declines. Great bucks. Agree with above, age is the trophy to me. Of course I'd love the shoot a high scoring old buck but any old buck is such an accomplishment. A lot harder to kill a 140" 6 year old than a 165" 3 year old and that 3 year old will likely turn into a buck of a lifetime if he can reach maturity.

I look at age as part of the trophy too. A 130-140" 2 year old is not real hard to kill. Personally, I'd take more pride in an older buck with less antler..then shoot that 2 year old in 2 years at 180...

So apparently I was duped! The big six that I thought was the "former sticker 10" actually is an imposter!
Got these pics this week!

I'd say without a doubt, this is the Sticker 10. Well, Sticker 8 now :D

I'm guessing this guy from last year is the 6pt. He should probably get taken out. Not doing much. Be a good one for a beginner hunter.

Top Bottom