Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bucks on their feet?

I wish I could find the article, maybe it was Charles Alsheimer but when what we call the "rut" happens, only 40% of the does come into esterus. Some does get bred as early as september and some as late as January. It's a histogram (bell curve).

My dad and I were also coyote hunting a number of years back and watched a buck breed a yearling doe in the last part of January.

I know the rut is when "majority" of doe's come into heat, but it was just funny at the time, weather was warm, sunny, and we had got into the stand early, and the last thing we expected to see was the target buck out breeding a doe.

I see fawns in the last part of march, first part of April. Those doe's would have to have been bred in October, for them to have fawns that early. So there is always a chance this time of year, if the right doe walks by a mature buck, she might lead him right to your stand.

Driving in to work on hwy 30 by Clinton I saw a 150 ish standing 30 yards from the highway in the wide open...roughly 1640 hrs on monday. Gets a guy feeling sick, cough cough.

Had a pretty nice 3 year old out and about this morning at about 8 am...pulled cards this morning when I got out also...a few young bucks on cam while it's still light out in the pm but other than that, just a bunch of small bucks running around.

dedgeez, come on down I'll go with ya! Sucks that I drive 40 minutes for better hunting when I see this guy a half mile from my work!

Top Bottom