Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bug repellant for deer

bowtech150

Backstrap Assassin
Was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything to keep these bugs down on the local deer herd in their area..? I heard that constant irritation from bugs can hurt the deer and antler growth. Thoughts anyone?

I was just thinking the same thing the other day as I was watching a deer out my living room window through the binos and she was covered in flies.. i know they have them bug things that cattle can walk under and drag on their back but doubt you could get a deer to do the same... i think it would pretty much be impossible too

Could put bug soother in a bathroom febreze dispenser and rig a motion sensor ha.. well I'm wondering if you set a cattle rub up in such a way over a bait pile if they would be forced to rub on it to get to the bait..

Not as crazy as it may sound. Cows have problems with this & several solutions, some actually practical for deer.
Buddy of mine on here was concerned about EHD last year and mixed his mineral with corn and a sulfur mix. Deer eat a mix with sulfur and it keeps flies and bugs from biting.
Regular minerals have some support for helping a deer deal with ticks (not sure on that one but read it several time).

There are mineral blocks for horses that have fly repellent in them to keep flies off horses idk if it'd work for deer but it's an idea

Last edited:
so what do you guys use for bug repellant while deer hunting. I usually wear extra clothing no matter how hot but, this year there seems to be more mosquito than I can ever remember....I get a feeling early bow is not gonna be much fun.

Rabon or altosid blocks kills the larva in the poop. I dont know if it would really help that much. It works well for cattle in a lot tho.

Top Bottom