Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Built my first trail cam!!

Tomo

Works great and it's digital too!! All I have to do is swap the memory card, plug it into the computer and click. No film developing whatsoever! It turned out nice and was real easy to build. The materials cost me less than $200 and it only took a few days to build. My goal is to have four by next season.

Tomo

Awesome!!. What materials did you use such as camera and board? I am looking at building a couple by late summer.

Shredder,

I used an Olympus D-370, Pixcontroller RSS board and a Pelican 1060 waterproof case. I would suggest lurking around Jesse's Hunting page and Hags House forums to get an idea of how to do it. Very helpful folks on these sites.

Tomo

Got it off of Ebay for $75. For the controller I plan on just buying the pc board next time and soldering the components on myself. That cuts the price of the controller in half. I knew electronics class would pay off someday!!

Tomo

I am planning on building mine around the D-390. Target and most stored have it for about $125 with the 16MB xD card. Plus, it's 2MP where the 370 is 1.3MP I think.You will need the RSP board for it instead of the RSS board.

Tomo, I want to build my own also. Do you, vman, haggs any one, have plans I could buy? I have not looked into this at all and was hoping to skip some reasearch time.

VMan, what's so bad about the D390? It's a higher MP camera than the 370 afterall.... What's the downside of it?

ITs slow, noisy and takes terriable night photos. With a slave flash would probably work over a feeder.
If you want to try one though, i have one id sell.

Hmmm, so even though it's only 1.3MP, the 370 is a better camera to use overall?

hifidelity...I wouldn't worry about the megapixels too much. 1.3 mp is plenty to get a good picture. As a matter of fact I lowered the D-370 resolution to 640x480 so I could get more pics on the memory card. If you go with a higher resolution camera you are going to eat up all of your memory card space with these giant, high resolution, too big to post on this website anyway pictures.

Just my 2 cents.
Tomo

Thanks for the plug V......
Be happy to help you guys out who are interested in building your own trail cameras. It's getting pretty easy with all the info. that's come out the last two years.
The new Sony's are looking real promising and the D370 and D380 are still great cams for use in a trail camera.
Building your own is still the best way to go and you can do it.....

hags

Hey Vman, which Sony are you referring to? Hag, I didn't think the "new" Sony's were compatible with any of the boards? Am I Wrong? Memory card size of of no concern to me. I have tons of these things at my disposal.

Here's a ??? and maybe/probably a dumb one, but, with a digital trail camera, can you set it to take mpeg clips??

Assuming mpeg clips means movie clips the answer is yes. Although I haven't tried it I've read that it can be done. I assume the camera is set to movie mode and when something triggers the PIR sensor the camera takes the video. I'll try it tonight and let you know what happens.

Tomo

Top Bottom