Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bullheaded a Toad :)

Crimson Arrows

Had one last day to hunt on the 14th before I had to hang it up for the year. I got to hunt eight times, which is more than I thought I would get to with a family, moving into another house and work. I had filled a tag during first season and honestly was just enjoying getting to go a few more times. Listening to the sounds of spring is one of the things I enjoy most.

I hunted a new area and was actually mushroom hunting last Sunday when that big storm blew in. It was thundering like crazy as I left that night and I heard a gobbler hammering with each thunder clasp. So, I rolled the dice and hoped that whatever gobbler was there on Sunday…would return on Wednesday.

The moon was full and I got a late start, actually passing on getting coffee as I knew I’d be late to the field. I set up and hadn’t heard much of anything when just before flydown, a gobbler cut loose behind me about 100 yards. I tree yelped to him and he answered. I put the slate down, nocked a bullhead, and decided to just wait.

20 minutes later I heard pssstttt…..vrooom.

Here he came and worked right into my decoys. I had two bullheads with me and forgot my stabilizer as I had been using the fan trick of late. So, along with nerves and a light Hoyt, my pin was a bit less than steady J My first arrow could not have shaved the feathers off his neck any cleaner. I mean perfect..ha ha. This only enraged him as he proceeded to really give my Jake his best right and left hooks............no pun intended J.

The last arrow I had found its mark though and nearly severed his head off. I love these bullheads and will use them down the road. Plus, Im getting too old to chase any more gobblers down. Ha ha.

Found just enough mushrooms on the way out to eat a small meal but I was a pretty happy camper.

Turned out to be my best gobbler in 23 years of doing this with double beards and 1 ¼” hooks. The beards were what surprised me the most as they were 12.2” and 10.2 “. Upon dressing him I found shotgun pellets, which added to his warrior status, at least in my book.

I took the bird to the taxi and will look forward to looking at him down the road. Hope you all had a great spring and thanks for reading.

Just goes to show how tough them SOB are. Great bird and congrats on the shrooms. Mother nature sure bless's us in the spring!

Great hunt and bird, who are you using for taxi services?

Thanks guys :) I am using Hazelcreek Taxidermy in Green Castle, MO. They have done work for me before and do as good of a job on turkeys as anyone I think.

I have seen to many "rabid" turkey mounts to risk it :D

Top Bottom