Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Burning vacation for early MZ need advise?

miff007

I hunted my third time this year this morning Saw some does and a small buck. I need advise for this evening and the rest of the week (I am after one of a few bucks that I have on camera not shooting does yet only have night pics on trailcam). I have a clover food plot with a stand on the south side wind is perfect No buck sign, field edges with oaks and picked beans wind not so good but some scrapes popping up, or go into the timber with a climber explore and find a spot to hunt. I lean toward staying out of timber until rut because my range is not so great for muzzy shooting with foliage still attached...

This is a new place this year so I have not hunted it much to know the patterns...First time was in the pouring rain the other day and nothing was moving.

Any advise will be appreciated, you know how it is trying to decide.

Thanks in advance!

i hunted last night and this morning, i rattled in three bucks, two near shooters, but they got the pass.

and i tried using a doe bleat, and they looked, but kept walking away, when i pulled out the grunt/growl, they spun around on a dime and walked into my set up at 15 yards!!!!

i think with the cooler weather, the bucks are more likely to respond to aggressive tactics!

just a thought, it worked for me, might work for you!

If the bucks aren't making it to the clover to feed until after dark.. then you need to back off the food source and move a little closer to the bedding area. Find the places they like to hang out in between bed and feed.. most likely will have a lot of scrapes/rubs and good browse in-between or acorns. If you are hunting the evening, look for the trails that have rubs facing away from the food source. The food sources will start to really pick up in another week or so when the bucks start cruising looking for that first hot doe. They will start scent checking the does that come out into that food source during day light hours.

There is a CRP area that has some great scrapes one the size of a kitchen table! I dont have a good spot with the North wind unfortunately to get in there....Could try the spot I was in the rain which is east of the scrapes but it also blows my scent out over a larger fresh cut bean field...

It always seems like getting into your spot you bump deer out and that is it except for the young deer that don't know any better...I have only ever had luck with mature bucks late oct - mid nov...

I started the weekend on field edges with little luck. I've moved into the timber where they've been into the acorns. Been seeing small and borderline bucks every night and saw one shooter with no shot opportunity. I'm in there on my climber and I just don't go as high as I'd like to so I can stay under most of the foilage. 70 yards is the farthest I can shoot...and its not much of an opening. All the deer except the big one have been within 40 yards though. Acorns are still dropping like crazy in there.

also, if you have an early muzz tag, which you obviously do, id be out there as much as possible as you only have a few days left!!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

keep after it!!!

The full moon isn't helping us right now either...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . For early muzzy season you don't get too many mornings like this one today. Still, I didn't see too much activity but a great morning to be on stand. Gettin' ready to head back out now. Good Luck!

I thought the deer were moving out to the fields late because of the full moon but Wed afternoon kind of shot that theory. However, if I was still ML hunting I definetly would be inside the woods and on the hilltops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the deer were moving out to the fields late because of the full moon but Wed afternoon kind of shot that theory. However, if I was still ML hunting I definetly would be inside the woods and on the hilltops. </div></div>

that is exactly what I needed to know. I have been hunting the edge of the timber and the edge of a corn field with only does if I am lucky. I will give the November stands a shot this weekend.

Top Bottom