Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

burning

arm

Leg
I plan on burning off some plot areas this weekend or next, or somewhere in between. I thought I would just let the fire dept and sheriff know...do I actually need a permit? Or do I really need any of that. This is all mowed, sprayed, open pasture...1 acre size

As long as there isn't a current burn ban in your county, you can burn. Doesn't hurt to the them know anyway.

We usually let the sheriff's office know if we're burning more than an acre. More so the neighbors down the road don't have the fire dept come out

No permit required. For sure let sheriff dispatch know when you ignite and when the fire is out. As always, watch the wind. Likely going to be a smoky fire this time of year.

We usually let the sheriff's office know if we're burning more than an acre. More so the neighbors down the road don't have the fire dept come out

Similarly...I notify the local rural fire department before having a fire...I have had a couple of occasions where a concerned passerby called in a fire that was not out of control and then the faithful volunteers were scrambled in response...only to arrive at my place after the controlled burn was out, or fully under control.

I think it is wise to let the local folks know in advance so there is less probability of them being called out unnecessarily.

Watch the wind. Is your smoke going to effect any residents or roadways? Let the neighbors know you are burning, along with the sheriff dept. If the smoke is going to impede driving, post people at both ends.

Next yr I have my midterm contract due on my crp. My 2 options are to disc or burn. I would really like to burn for obvious reasons. I have 35 acres that need done (2 fields, 8 acres and 27 acres). It scares the s__t out of me to do this on my own. What is the best route to take to get this accomplished?
Thanks

Always good to have lots of help & equipment to do buen! Try checking with the "Habitat Chairman" of your local Pheasants Forever chapter. He/she should be able to point you towards some trained, experienced help. Start lining up help now. Helpers might be booked if you wait til spring. Good luck!

I've lined up guys from the local fire dept to help. might have to make it worth their while

Check with your local county conservation board, they should be willing to burn it for a flat fee, usually very cheap plus they are trained and have all the equipment needed.

Top Bottom