Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Busted Or Not

charbs82

Hey guys got a question. I was in stand this evening and had a real nice 8 walk by at about 50 yards. He never noticed me in stand and I let him walk due to the length of the shot. He wandered off so I stayed in until dark. When I climbed out I crossed the fence to head across the field back to the farm and noticed him about 100 yards on the other side of the clearing. I knelt down in the weeds but he was locked on to me. He kind of snorted and hopped over the fence into the woods. He was not just bolting off like he was real freaked but I was just wondering if he will be back or if he is gone for good. I don't think I freaked him out but not real sure. Any ideas?

If he couldn't smell you, I think you'll be fine. Deer don't have great eyesight in the dark or near dark, so he probably just knew something wasn't right, but didn't know what it was.

Besides, he's going to have raging hormones soon that'll make him forget all those cautious steps he might have taken a few weeks earlier :D

NWBuck

You'll think I'm crazy but one of the best opportunities I sometimes run across is when I bump and big buck in mid October and then set a stand in a perfect spot in relation to that bedding area.

Then I return in a week or so and have killed a few that way as they returned to their bed in the morning. Just yesterday one did that but was just to far off for a comfortable shot. Still, he laid within 30 yards of where he did 2 weeks ago.

The point is-they are creatures of habit and unless you make YOUR actions a habit-he won't pay that encounter any mind-especially as NW buck said if they didn't smell you and associate you with that particular tree-your good.

Yeah, I wouldn't be near as concerned bumping a buck while moving as I would having one wind me from my stand. You should be good. I bet you see him again.

Top Bottom