Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Calling, Scent and Everything in Between!

I did do a little successful rattling last weekend...on Saturday evening I was set up in an area that has been good to us many times in the past. We probably only hunt it once or twice a year though because we need a stronger SW wind or else it just doesn't seem to work out. But last Saturday was a good SW wind, so in I went.

After awhile I did have a nice 10 pointer come through. I could have definitely shot him, but I let him go since I think he is probably 3, maybe 4, and could still put on some inches going forward, etc. He eventually went through and on up the hill and out of sight.

About 30 minutes later I start to see deer about 80 yards away and up hill, through the timber and in the clearing at the top of the hill. Eventually I binoed a buck up there that I was very interested in coming down the hill to where I was. Knowing he had does up there to draw his attention AND that none of them seemed quite ready to stand just yet...I did do a rattling sequence.

Lo and behold...he came down the hill and in front of me just like a picture at about 15 yards...only it was the buck that had come through earlier that I passed...not the target that I was hoping to call in. Drat! In that specific scenario though...rattling was very effective, just not on the buck I really wanted. Oh well.

First pic below was when he initially came through and freshened up the scrape. The second one was him after he came back to investigate the rattling that I had done.

Attachments

• 20221105_171550.jpg
    20221105_171550.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221105_180227.jpg
    20221105_180227.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom