Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can deer see orange?

Jdubs

Guys,,with all the political stuff going on right now I thought I would bring up this question and look for everyone's input. I know previous studies suggest deer can't see orange but my experience in the field leads me to believe they can, at least a glow or something.

In 2007 I drew a NR archery tag and hunted a favorite tree. Keep in mind I'm not one for heights and I place my platform at about 16 feet; putting my torso at about 21 or 22 feet. Deer traveled east and west along a creek botton and south toward my position through a timbered finger in a CRP field. After 6 hunts in 2007 I saw many deer and only a couple got me after approaching from downwind.

In 2008 I hunted the same stand the first week of shotgun with a doe tag and had probably half of the deer bust me and actually look up at my stand. I've had similar experiences in the past while wearing orange which leads me to believe they see something.

What do you think?

I'd say no...a solid shade yes, but color, no.

I say that as I wore full body orange for yrs while rifle hunting and had deer walk right up to me if the wind was good and I was motionless.

I was watching a show where they did some tests on whether or not they can.
At the end of it they came up with that they can see blues very well and yellows also pretty well. They claimed that they couldn't see orange.
It didn't show how they were testing it so I don't know what to think.

Just what I recently watched.

Like Saskguy, the only experience I have with orange was years ago I was standin in an open fence line, on the top of a hill and four deer nearly walked right over me. In fact they jumped the fence two posts down from me, of course that was after I emptied my gun at them.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waitn4rut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was watching a show where they did some tests on whether or not they can.
At the end of it they came up with that they can see blues very well and yellows also pretty well. They claimed that they couldn't see orange.
It didn't show how they were testing it so I don't know what to think.

Just what I recently watched. </div></div>

I saw this too on QDMA. They said that deer can really only see two shades of color - blue and yellow and that orange does not stand out to them as it does to us. As long as you're not out hunting in your full denim suit, you should be pretty well camouflaged. They also mentioned that deer actually have bad vision compared to humans and they have difficulty focusing on stationary items, but they are much more sensitive to movement than us.

Top Bottom